When you had had your first child, did you have and were you able to do all these things?

1) Afford your own place to live?
2) Have a steady income?
3) Have Life/Health insurance for your child?
4) Afford the cost of diapers, food, clothing, etc.?
5)Afford your own vehicle w/insurance?
6) Able to save for college?
7) Able to afford daycare if you needed to work?

This is including you and your husband/SO. I'm not saying you NEED all these things and that you shouldn't have become a parent without them (I didn't have everything) but I'm just curious how many parents are actually 110% financially prepared to have children.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:24 PM on Dec. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• Nope. In fact 6 weeks after our first was born my husband lost his job. We had already moved in with my parents to save money and get better jobs. We were both out of work for the first 4 months of her life (and we were looking). After that my husband got a good job. That was 10 1/2 years ago and we still don't have college funds and don't plan to pay for college for our 5 kids. We rent a house, have a car payment. My husband makes enough for us to get by but we lived with family most of the last 10 years to get ahead and finally had to give in and declare bankruptcy to get a fresh start (long story). I have no regrets and if we had waited we wouldn't have any kids still (we've been married almost 11 years) and I can't imagine my life without any of them (I say as I hold my 5mo in my arms).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 5:13 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Yes to all.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 4:26 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• All except saving for college. it's hard with 3 kids.
    Fawn80

Answer by Fawn80 at 4:28 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• i did all of those things except save for college, his grandparents are doing that for me. now i don't have a house anymore, but i can still afford to put a roof over our heads and food in stomach without ANY help, including insurance.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 4:30 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• We had all of those things covered.

Then I was laid off after getting back from maternity leave. All the preparation in the world means squat sometimes.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 4:37 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Yes to all.
    I didnt jump into being a wife and a mom (in that order) with out thinking it all out and doing things responsibly.

Well, goody, goody gumdrops for you Anon!
    I DID jump into being a mother - at the ripe old age of 17, in fact. And here I am, 12 years later, 3 kids, and I can very well provide for all 3 of them.
    Fawn80

Answer by Fawn80 at 4:46 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• My husband and I had all those things. We even had our college education out of the way as well.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 4:25 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• i was so unprepared to have my first child i was 17 i was in school full time and working a min wadge part time job. But i made it work and hes a healthy happy 9year old who has everything he needs now. it took alot of hard work on my part but i made it work. Id say i was more prepared for my second child as i was married we were both working and had insurence and could afford to have him. But it doesnt always work out that way.
    Jaxsmommy09

Answer by Jaxsmommy09 at 4:27 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Yes--we were in our late 20's, had college, a steady income and all the rest on your list. All our friends had their children after the age of 28-30-and had the same situation. It is the best way to be parents.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 4:28 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Lived with Dad and Mom.
    Did have a job.
    Job porvided health insurance.
    Yes I could afford diapers, food and clothing.
    Already owned a vehicle.
    started worked at sixteen and at nineteen became assistant manager.
    My Mom watched my DD.
    idaspida

Answer by idaspida at 4:29 PM on Dec. 28, 2010