How old is old enough to be responsible for gifts?

How old were you or your kids when they started giving gifts for holidays, birthdays, etc? I started when I was 9.

BluDog

Asked by BluDog at 4:28 PM on Dec. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• I don't know how old I was...pretty young. My own kids started as soon as they understood the concept of gifts. They would save their allowance, do small chores to earn money, or I would have projects for them to make.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 4:31 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I remember I was pretty young but my dad had made a habit of taking me every year to pick out gifts for my mom and brother. And when I was like 9 I took over that. I would save my birthday money and tell my dad when I wanted to go.
    My own kids...who knows. They only think of themselves it seems and they don't get an allowance so they have no money. My 10yo would take the money and buy something cheap for everyone else and take the left over money to get something for herself and the gifts she would get for everyone else would be things SHE wanted more.
    I decided next year I'm putting money aside and I'm taking them to pick out gifts for each other and my husband. It's an expensive thing with 5 kids. Just each of them spending $5 on each of their siblings will be $100 and each getting hubby a $10 gift will be another $50. That means less we spend on them and Santa gifts so we haven't done it before.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 5:09 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I can't remember how old I was but I'm going to start my kids off once they turn five or six years old.
    kewi86

Answer by kewi86 at 5:15 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• my daughter is 5 and she knows the concept of gift giving for birthdays and things!
    courtneycra

Answer by courtneycra at 6:49 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

courtneycra

Answer by courtneycra at 6:57 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• courtneycra, I don't mean understanding the concept as much as taking initiative to give. In other words, giving without being told to. Example: it's daddy's birthday and momma doesn't have to say a thing about it, babygirl or boy automatically makes a card or wraps a present.
    BluDog

Comment by BluDog (original poster) at 7:18 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I am personally (trying) to start my daughter out early. though shes only 5mo (lol) my mother got her a silver necklace for christmas and shes been wearing it. lol :)

really though, I think that around 8-10 depending on the maturity of the child. give them "test items" and see how they do with them. ex: my mom gave my younger sister(10yrs old now) a little bracelet she got from the surf shop to her when she was 8 and she has kept up with it and still has it now. so for christmas my mother agreed to let me get her a pair of SMALL diamond earrings( ~ $80). I would start out with something small and that wouldnt be a big deal if they messed it up and/or lost it and work your way up from there??
    MicheleB.

Answer by MicheleB. at 10:12 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• wen i got a job i gave gifts lol we never gave my parents always gave and had all 5 of our names on it lol
    premiemom18

Answer by premiemom18 at 1:58 AM on Dec. 29, 2010