4 YO and death?

my 4 year old DD has been talking about people dieing and saying she had dreams of it. She said the today that she don't like kisses until grammie gives her kisses when she dies. Is this a commen stage for 4 YO, My oldest two didn't go through this stage if it is normal.

hodgkinrus6

Asked by hodgkinrus6 at 4:29 PM on Dec. 28, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Did someone recently die? 3 important ppl died before my daughter was 4 and she talked about it a lot.
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 4:31 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• No, no one has not died in our family since I was pregnant with her. We lost 3 close relatives then.
    hodgkinrus6

Comment by hodgkinrus6 (original poster) at 4:36 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• My son is saying the same stuff and he is 4.5. I thought that maybe he seen something on tv but he says that my grandpa comes to see him in his dreams all the time and he is able to pick him out in pics. I feel that as long as he is not afraid there is not a problem.
    logansmom6106

Answer by logansmom6106 at 6:42 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Does your child only see the dead when she sleeps, or also when she is awake? Very important. My daughter could see things when she was 2, 3, 4 and a little when she was 5, she called them her angels, she even told me my baby's due date and she was right. I was wondering if your child might have special visions or if this is just something she heard or saw on tv, school, something like that. Someone at school could have mentioned it and she might be scared.
    Moietmesenfants

Answer by Moietmesenfants at 11:48 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• She has dreams of death and talks about death randomly through the day. She is 4 and does not go to public school, or daycare, we have no cable so we only watch netflix and I choose the movies or shows she watches, so I doubt she has seen or heard about death. I am not even sure if she has imagesor visions during the day. I am stumped and thought it might be a reality stage that I missed on my 2 older ones.
    hodgkinrus6

Comment by hodgkinrus6 (original poster) at 4:23 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• i have a 4 year old who has told me he seen a man standing in the corner of his room watching him play with his toys.......his baby sister died 3 years ago and he talks to her,he says he plays with her sometimes,he says he see her sometimes......kids and dogs are the ones who can sence this stuff better than we can for some reason.......but from what i understood from my mother and grandmother,he isnt the only one!! i know for a fact i used to see ghosts/spirits,my mom has,her mom has,i guess it runs on our side of the family.....but the wierd thing is only the women see it,not the guys.....however my son is the only boy in the family to see things like this.....am i worried about it? absolutely not!! i wish i could see what he sees...he isnt scared of the things he sees,he enjoys it....do i think its normal? yes,personally i do.......others may think different.....just be supportive of the child.....
    SMALLfry05

Answer by SMALLfry05 at 2:09 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• My 4 yo is very aware of death. My MILs urn is in my living room, so she knows that grandma has died. She uderstands people can die from old age, or being ill, or getting into an accident, etc. She understands that some who die go to cemeteries, or urns. She understands that we no longer see people/animals after they die. She is not scared I will die, or daddy, right now.

It is odd, for we watch Mickey's Christmas Carol- she describes it as the Mickey where Tiny Tim dies. Like she really remembered that part. Sometimes I think she can really get too involved with death, so I steer her to a new topic. :)
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 2:14 PM on Dec. 30, 2010