Is there any other country besides America that has Black and White?

I was just thinking about how NO american is truly black or white and i was just wondering are we the only ones that have this. especially bc we say african-american so do other countries (for example: france) say african-french or would a black french person just say they are french. i know some countries have the class system so would that kind of be the same?

angela8098

Asked by angela8098 at 1:26 PM on Nov. 10, 2008 in Just for Fun

• LOL Thats a good question. I think that in America ppl are so worried about sounding racist by saying "black" that they say African-American bacause its "politically correct". I dont know why but it would sound kind of diff if they said African-French or African-Japan. But overall their are ppl that are 100% Italian and I never hear them introduce themselves as Italian Americans or Chinese ppl saying htat they are Chinese-Americans.
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 1:34 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I can't speak for other countries, but I can at least tell you how it is in Costa Rica (my boyfriend's country). They don't call black people African-Costa Rican, they just call them negro. Now, BEFORE you go reporting me, PLEASE UNDERSTAND that "negro", pronounced neh-grow, is the SPANISH word for "black". It does not have the negative connotation that it does here. Just like we call black people black, they call black people by the Spanish word for black.

My boyfriend finds it kind of funny that they're called African-American, he says nobody would ever be called African-Costa Rican. And yes, there are black Costa Ricans. Their country is actually just as diverse if not more than the USA, there's a melting pot of different heritages there too. They don't all look "Hispanic" like some people would think =]
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 1:39 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• caitxrawx....im not offended by negro cuz that is what we were called before...lol...but i personally dont like the african-american term for myself i would rather be called black bc i am american and my african heritage is beyond me. i have native american blood a lot closer so that is why i personally like the term black but i still check off african-american if there is not option (but if i want to be difficult sometimes i will check other and write in black...lol)...

but in costa rico do they actually have like where they have to specify their race. bc if they come to america they would just call themselves hispanic right? bc i have heard that dominican republicans do not want to be called black and if you see them without talking to them or hearing their names you would assume they are black...
    angela8098

Answer by angela8098 at 1:46 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• That's a good question! I asked my boyfriend that (he has a few black cousins that still live in CR) and he said it would probably be a personal choice, since they actually are Hispanic. But he says being Hispanic isn't a race, or something to that extent. He's a mix of caucasian and the kind of native indians that lived there thousands of years ago, not the Aztecs or the Mayans, a smaller sect that got wiped out by the larger sects lmao. But he labels himself as Hispanic here because that's what the papers say, like black people are sometimes forced to label themselves as African American.

caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 2:13 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• (continued)

Sorry if I don't make any sense, it's hard to explain. But I'm thinking that if, say, a black Hispanic person came here to live, they'd make it very clear that they weren't African-American if someone referred to them as such. That's like if you see a black British person, I'd think they wouldn't like being called African-American either lol.
    caitxrawks

• I've traveled all over the world and most of Europe is black and white. Every country Ive been to has black and white people. China, France, Ireland, Iceland, England They all do.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 2:50 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• vbruno...i know that they have black and white people but do they call themselves black and white or do they call themselves (i.e. from china) chinese or would they say they are a black chinese person...like what do they call themselves like if they came over here to america and you asked them their race would they say black or chinese?
    angela8098

Answer by angela8098 at 6:00 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• caitxrawks...i understand what you are saying. i have noticed when filling out papers when you see the black option you see "black (non-hispanic)" and im guessing that is the reason for that.
    angela8098

Answer by angela8098 at 6:04 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• bump...i didnt know if questions get bumped the same way as posts or not....but ill give it a try...lol
    angela8098

Answer by angela8098 at 9:07 PM on Nov. 10, 2008