How do you react to someone who seems to work against the acceptance of the belief system they claim to be a part of?

What if it's YOUR belief system?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 4:42 PM on Dec. 28, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• My belief system is treat others how you want to be treated, be good to one another, or karma.
    I like all those.
    But yes I am guilty of treatying someone differently than how I want to be treated.
    In example... my best friend of 16 years has been trying to call me and chat. I have been ignoring the calls.
    I have to stop and think would I want to be ignored. No, but she tried to come on to my Hubby and yes she was sober. She bought him a Christmas gift sent to him in his name and did not send a thing to my DD or I. In fact she thought he would not tell me. We never opened the gift. We gave it to the Goodwill.
    idaspida

Answer by idaspida at 4:48 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I don't react to the actions of others because it's none of my business. They might have their own reasons that I don't understand. When it's my belief system that's different, I'm always reflecting on my actions and my beliefs. There is always room for improvement and I strive for that in myself.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:34 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I am not sure if I understand your question. Can you give an example?
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 5:50 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• For an extreme example - The WBC, who claim to be Christian, and do their best to make Christians look like judgmental assholes...

How do you react if you came across someone who claimed to be a part of a faith and then acted in a way which was counteractive to those very beliefs they claim to have?

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 6:12 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• It's their choice and their belief system, they have to live with it.
    sondaughter312

Answer by sondaughter312 at 6:17 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Depends on if they're speaking for themselves or everyone - it's the difference between "I" believe and "we" believe. If it's someone saying "we" believe, they better have the exact citation to back it up (and if they don't have one, that alone is a sign that they're doing it wrong).
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:33 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I believe in karma. And, so far, the "Do as ye will, but harm ye none" thing has worked well for me. And I believe that if you are being led down the primrose path by ANY human being then you need to remove your blinders and find a path that will work for YOU. And not follow the path that someone else chose FOR you.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 8:48 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I would point it out to them as sensitive as I could, sometimes, people can't see past their nose!

Answer by older at 10:40 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• My personal reaction to people like WBC or any other "Christian" who act completely opposite of how they're supposed to is flat-out disgust.

But beyond that? I can't change them. It's out of my hands. AS much as people like WBC piss me off, ultimately they will be held responsible for their horrendous actions someday, be it by Karma or God or whatever else. They will reap what they've sown. All I can ultimately do is just strive for my own self to live as closely to my beliefs as possible, treat people kindly, and if I make a mistake, work to correct it and do better next time.
    PaganMommy04

Answer by PaganMommy04 at 12:35 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• And, I forgot to add, sometimes it takes many, MANY tries and failings (so to speak) before I am finally successful at learning a certain lesson.

For instance: I do try to be kind to people. I really do. But there are times, for whatever a present reason may be, that I am not so kind. Ok ok, I won't sugar-coat it. Sometimes I'm a flat-out BITCH. But all I can do is dust myself off (probably for the millionth time) and try again.
    PaganMommy04

Answer by PaganMommy04 at 12:37 AM on Dec. 30, 2010