My three month old son has had a stuffy nose for over two weeks.

We've been using infant saline drops and an asperator to remove the mucous, which helps but, he's not improving. This is cold and flu season although, he doesnt have any other symptoms. (no fever, cough, etc.) How long should I let this go on before I take him to the doctor?

MotherofOrion

Asked by MotherofOrion at 1:31 PM on Nov. 10, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would call the doctor because it has been longer than 2 weeks - also you could try a cool mist humidifier - that always helps my kids when they are congested
    tmcewen

Answer by tmcewen at 1:34 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Until it goes away. Try getting a humitifier too. They will not give him anything for a cold even if you took him. Now if he gets a fever or gets worse then by all means call your doctor. Are family just got over a 3 week cold it was a nightmare. I feel for you.
    Izzyscrazymom

Answer by Izzyscrazymom at 1:35 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• my son is 2 1/2 mon. and has been stuffy for 6weeks now. there is nothing you can do except for the saline drops and the snot snatcher. they cant have antibiotics unitl 4 months
    hunters_mom820

Answer by hunters_mom820 at 1:37 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• A good indicator is the color of the mucous. Is it clear, white or slightly yellow? That usually indicates a viral or allergy (with your baby being 3 months allergy is highly unlikely). Is it bright yellow or really gross green? That could indicate a bacterial infection, and with the baby not having any other symptoms that would be my guess. The pediatrician will give antibiotics for bacterial infection.
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 2:26 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• My daughter was a month old when they stuffy nose started and the pediatrician said to start the saline nose spray and aspirator. We had to do this until she was four months old because NOTHING was wrong with her, other than allergies. Now she's fine and has only been sick once in her short life. And she's 26 months old.
    crdc91506

Answer by crdc91506 at 2:51 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• This happened to my son at 3 weeks of age, and has cont for the last 1.5 weeks. My pediatrician said it could be a cold, or normal infant congestion that can occcur especially this time of year with the indoor heat and outdoor weather. I think in his case, it is just normal congestion, as several of my friends experienced the same thing with their infants. And think about it, how congested would your nose get if you lacked the ability to sniff or blow it.
    lexirae

Answer by lexirae at 3:07 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Be careful of humidifiers. They breed bacteria. We had this problem just recently. For our son it was allergies, so we got a filtered fan and it has cleared up his nose completely. In just a couple of days!
    DianalovesRich

Answer by DianalovesRich at 7:51 PM on Nov. 10, 2008