What is the best house rules for a sixteen year old who truning seventeen

Need some suggesstions for house rules for a young adult

tinamarie1972

Asked by tinamarie1972 at 4:49 PM on Dec. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• Always let you know where he will be.
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 4:50 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I have a 15 yr old who is turning 16 and the rules have remained the same since day one... she just earns more privileges as she ages and proves that she is making good life choices.

What is going on that you all of the sudden need house rules?

Anonymous

• Have a curfew. Make them tell you where there are...and call if plans change.
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 4:51 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• IMHO it depends on the kid!!!! If mine at that age is a mess and very immature there will be TONS of rules. No cell phone, driving privileges, computer time, or even a bedroom door. If we're talking about a good kid w/ good grades, maybe a PT job, etc etc that's a different story. Treat them like a (young) adult until or unless they do something to act like a child.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 4:52 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I like that you still believe in house rules. It gives kids and teens some discipline and mold them to respectful of the the law. As for the best house rules I would probably say to let you know where he/she is going, not having the opposite sex in their bedroom, and be home at a decent time. I can tell that you're a good mom and good luck.
    kewi86

Answer by kewi86 at 5:05 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Not sure what you mean by house rules. Are you talking about how much he should do to help out? Or something else? By the time our children were in their teens, they knew what was expected of them in our home. If you're just now starting to make rules, expect lots of resistance. Also, our children had to ask on a case by case basis whether or not they could go places. If they were allowed to go, then the time they had to be home depended on where they were going, with whom, and what the activity was. To assume a 16-year old is a young adult is pretty far-fetched. He still needs lots and lots of personal guidance and lots of boundaries.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 5:54 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Also, our children had to ask on a case by case basis whether or not they could go places. If they were allowed to go, then the time they had to be home depended on where they were going, with whom, and what the activity was. To assume a 16-year old is a young adult is pretty far-fetched. He still needs lots and lots of personal guidance and lots of boundaries.
    -------------------------------------------
    Exactly what I thought. Also, the more privileges they earn ad they mature and prove to be responsible, the harsher the punishment for anything she does wrong. That's what my parents did... And even if it was just one slip up they would say "well obviously you knew better then." I straightened up pretty quick when i was put on "house arrest" by my parents, and my mom was waiting outside of my last classroom to escort me home, in front of everyone, for a week. Haha. I laugh now at it, but it was awful at the time!
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 6:13 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• well, i dont have any kids that old yet!
    courtneycra

Answer by courtneycra at 6:42 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Our rules were pretty simple.
    When youre going out we will need to know where, with who, have their parents names, and an additional cell number in case of emergency. If youre in a car I need to have the license plate # & make and model. At 16 they had to be in by 11. Nothing good happens after 11pm. Movies are out by then. Malls are closed. etc. If there is a special event like prom we can adjust the time for that.

I also told them I pay for your clothes, your food, and you get so much in allowance a week. If you need more money get a job.

Grades are expected to be at no lower then a B, if they fall to a C they will go to be tutored and miss out of fun things after school.
    No sports unless grades are good. No going out unless I know who youre with. No drugs. No smoking. No drinking. If you get in trouble with the law I help you once and only once, if its serious call grandma I might kill you.

Answer by gemgem at 7:20 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• start them out with maybe :
    -required to send AT LEAST a txt of where they are when they leave one place and go to another with friends.
    -be IN the house NLT 7pm(on school nights; 8-9 on w/e's)
    -MUST have chores/hw done BEFORE they go out
    -notify you/get approval before they go anywhere.
    -limit how much you, as the parents, pay for. it is HIGH TIME they learned how to manage their own finances.
    -(goes with above) picks up buying "some" of their supplies -ex: pricey name-brand clothes, cosmetics(girls), ect-

when i was this age, I had to save up my own money and buy, on my own, A LOT of the things i had then. granted my family didnt really have that much money to spare, i appreciated things A LOT more when it was MY money buying the things that i had. PLUS i loved having a job. gave me something to do outside of school and home AND i got paid for it.
    MicheleB.

Answer by MicheleB. at 10:06 PM on Dec. 28, 2010