pictures on cigarette packs

Starting next year Philip Morris will be putting disturbing pictures on cigarette packs to dissuade(sp?) ppl from smoking. Why arent the big alcohol companies putting pictures like these on their bottles? When it comes to your own health smoking is selfless and drinking and driving is selfish. So why one and not the other? Im just sick of the government getting so involved with everything we do. If smokers have to look at cancer pictures on their pack then why shouldnt drinkers have to look at a car wreck or a mangled body on a bottle? Its a double standard and drives me nuts! lol What do you think?

Steph319

Asked by Steph319 at 5:00 PM on Dec. 28, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Good idea, but I prefer that everyone just let everyone live their own lives.

bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 5:02 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• not all people drink and drive, but all smokers inhale
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 5:02 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I don't think that smoking is selfless. You harm all those around you with second hand smoke. I don't see anything wrong with making those aware of what could happen if you could continue smoking. I watched my Grandma go through cancer in her lungs, have part of her lungs removed, and struggle for the rest of her life, I wouldn't wish that upon my worst enemy.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 5:03 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I think it's a terrific idea but it concerns me about kids (Little ones) seeing them and being really, really freaked out.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 5:06 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Well I think it should be done with alcohol as well. But really I think these pictures are more to prevent knew smokers than stop current smokers.
    idaspida

Answer by idaspida at 5:03 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I agree Melbrnj but not all smokers smoke in public. Or around other ppl. And Im very sorry about your grandmother
    Steph319

Comment by Steph319 (original poster) at 5:06 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

thats exactly why they are doing this. I dont want my daughter to be a scared kid but if she sees this and doesnt smoke its def a good thing. But tahts were school and general parenting comes in. I dont see why gov has to get so involved
    Steph319

Comment by Steph319 (original poster) at 5:11 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• coming from a former smoker...the smoker isnt the only one that is inhaling the smoke. everyone that is around them has to deal with it too, and that can be just as deadly as smoking. so, being a smoker is not 'selfless' as you put it.
    cevyn

Answer by cevyn at 5:17 PM on Dec. 28, 2010