My grapefruit tree. . . .

is producing small grapefruit about the size of a baseball. The tree is about 15 years old and it used to produce larger grapefruit but last year and this year they're too small. I pruned the tree every year to give it a better shape, but I think I ruined it somehow. I painted the bark white, so that's good to go. Did I prune it too much?

zboys

Asked by zboys at 5:01 PM on Dec. 28, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Grapefruit trees only need to be pruned every 2-3 years, but over pruning won't affect the size of your fruit, just the quantity. It could be too much water. Other issues could be it needs fertilizing 3 times a year or it could be some sort of disease affecting the size of the fruit. Also if there are any shoots coming up from the roots, you need to prune those off, they suck the energy out of a citrus tree.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 10:42 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Call a nursery and ask their advice
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:01 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I don't know but here's a bump
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 5:17 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I'm not sure about grapefruit trees but I do know that I only prune the dead limbs from our blood orange...
    motherganey5

Answer by motherganey5 at 7:54 PM on Dec. 28, 2010