abnormal pap smear during pregnancy

I'm currently 14 weeks along. At my appointment last week my OB informed me that my pap smear done at 9 weeks came back mildly abnormal. She wants to do a colposcopy but said there's nothing they can do until after the birth anyway, and that usually the birth itself clears up any mildly abnormal cells. I don't want the colposcopy and I'm really worried and confused. Has this happened to anyone else? I've never had an abormal pap before.

illek84

Asked by illek84 at 1:38 PM on Nov. 10, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I had this nothing to be afraid of though it is just like another pap kinda uncomfortable but not painful. Also when they did my colposcopy my Dr. nothing was really wrong and I only had a few abnormal cells now after my baby everything is great.
    Heaven0802

Answer by Heaven0802 at 1:46 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• All they would do is a biopsy and do nothing until after the baby is born. My midwife says that it just increases your pain while in labor. Since all my paps were normal with my first, I opted for not having any with this one, until the 6 week check, since that is when anything would be taken care of if something was wrong.
    Personally I would opt out of whatever your doc wants to do and just have them check and make sure your paps are getting any more abnormal.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 1:47 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• i had severely abnormal cells during my pregnancy. but there isnt anything they can do while you are pregnant. i would wait on the colpo until after the labor. when it's mild there really isn't a whole lot to worry about. and the dr is right, it usually does clear up post-birth. it can be caused by sex or just hormones.
    trentntats

Answer by trentntats at 1:59 PM on Nov. 10, 2008