Would you down size your home, if you could?

Ouw home is old. My father-in-law built it back in 1948. It is about 2300 sq. ft. living and two utility rooms and a south patio. It took great damage from Ivan and we are still working on the damage. I have felt a real need for the past 6 months or so to just day "good-bye" to this house and start over...down sizing. I really want to make things easier. Any one else ever felt this way...?

motherganey5

Asked by motherganey5 at 5:10 PM on Dec. 28, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Our house was built in 1893 and has had six additions put on it, none of them very large. It has four levels of rooms & none of the rooms in one level are level with each other, so it's two steps up to the kitchen, one step down to the laundry room, one step up to the bathroom, etc. The house could definately be smaller if it were re-organized & put back together logically. Do I want to move to a smaller house? Absolutely, but only if it comes with a small farm attached :-D
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 7:38 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I wish I could relate. i live in 800 square feet with four of us and our house was 360K. If I downsize, we won't fit. I want an upgrade but it's too much darn money.
    Anonymous

• i could see why you would, if the damage/repairs are too much (financially) for you, or if you don't really need that much space.
    however, we just moved into a much larger home, and admittedly, we have an extra bedroom we have no idea what to do with. however, the rest of the house is just perfectly sized for our family of three.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 5:12 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Our home is paid for and has never had a mortage...would that make a difference?
    motherganey5

Comment by motherganey5 (original poster) at 5:12 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• No, we've never had a home that was too big ,but plenty that were too small. Our house right now is about that size, but we really aren't using all of it because we are in the middle of a reno.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 5:13 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• We have 1800 right now and it is too small. I would give anything for a bigger house especially without a mortgage.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 5:15 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Nope, I am the opposite- I desperately want to upsize as we are living in less than 650 sq ft-- and need more space!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 5:28 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• No, I would prefer a house 2 or 3 times the size of the one I have. We have 6 people in a 2 bedroom home.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:38 PM on Dec. 28, 2010