Would you have done the same?

Yesterday we put down rent on a place. When we got back to where we are staying..I suddenly thought Id look up my new address on the state sex offender list. I was shocked to find that a whole lot live in that area. I have 3 kids under age 10. I couldn`t sleep.. I was sickened and upset. So today I decided not to live there. It turned out ok when i talked to the guy. He asked why and I told him. He totally understood. I got our money back and I gave him his key. I am so glad that it turned out ok and not blew up in my face. Next neighborhood I will totally search it first...

Autumn07

Asked by Autumn07 at 5:19 PM on Dec. 28, 2010 in Home & Garden

• yes and no. You might find a terrific place tomorrow and sign the lease. And then next week you open your morning paper and guess what, a public notice and town hall info meeting that in a weeks time a batch of level 3 sex offenders are moving into your area. Happens every single day. And then you're stuck in a lease w/ them coming and nothing you can do about it.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 5:22 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Sure would have
    nicjon

Answer by nicjon at 5:20 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Probably.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 5:21 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• how close by were they? They're everywhere...there is one about a mile from my house. I know exactly where he lives.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 5:23 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• You got lucky. How miserable if he had decided not to go back. Def. search the next area first. I'm glad it turned out okay. When we were renting those options didn't exist. When we built our home though they sure did. I checked the whole neighborrhood.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:23 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Oh yeah, thats scary
    We have none living in our naighborhood now, I checked. But just for fun one day I put in the address of house I lived in as a kid and there was a pedofile living across the street
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 5:24 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• they were pretty close.. a couple the next street over.. i know they got to live somewhere but i`m not going to choose to live that close to them.
    Autumn07

Comment by Autumn07 (original poster) at 5:28 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

Autumn07

• Yes, I would have. No way would I want to live near a sex offender, I'm not putting my kids in danger no matter how cute the house is.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 5:43 PM on Dec. 28, 2010