S.O.S.

Are any of you currently with someone with bipolar disorder? Are they on medication? Does it help? My BF has it I am sure! I don't know how much more of the highs and lows I can take!

salexander

Asked by salexander at 1:43 PM on Nov. 10, 2008 in Relationships

• Just because our loved ones are MOODY - or you fight often with them ( and they are male so they make NO SENSE to us) doesn't necisarily make them Bi-polar.
    When you add stress of jobs and children into the mix it can lead to confusion and irratibilty , so maybe that is contributing to your situation???????
    Call a friend ( i know a good one - even though she has a small baby at home) and take her advice!!!
    MamaInky

Answer by MamaInky at 7:29 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• My mother is bi polar. When she was on her meds she was balanced. When she'd stop taking them she'd flip out and either try to commit suicide or hurt someone else. I suggest you talk to him on a good day and tell him your concerns. Just be careful, if he IS bipolar then his mood can snap and change like THAT.
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 1:45 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I have it... however, I'm not medicated for it. While my friends and family disagree, my therapists say it's not so bad i's disrupting my own life but I'll be pretty annoying to people around me at times. If he's bad enough that you feel he needs help, you need to find a way to suggest he see someone. Maybe not say "I think you're bipolar", cause most people compare it to psychosis, but suggest that with how often and drastic his highs and lows are, perhaps someone could help him stablize it so his life will be less complicated.
    MammaCat

Answer by MammaCat at 1:46 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• My step-mother and my brother both have bipolar disorder, and I know it is difficult for my father (though probably not as difficult as it is for them). There are several good books out there for partners or families of people with bipolar disorder. Do a search on Amazon and see what you can find.
    Anonymous

• My bf's daughter is bi-polar. It was discovered when she was in college and under enormous stress. She was on medications for a few years but now (under the supervision of doctors and Dad) is not taking meds. She tries to control her diet and stay centered through meditation and bio-feedback. Her father is hyper aware of her issues and tries to talk to her several times a week to gauge her moods and mental health (she lives in another state).
    kathyartist2007

Answer by kathyartist2007 at 2:01 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Are any of you currently with someone with bipolar disorder? YES Are they on medication? YES Does it help? YES My BF has it I am sure! I don't know how much more of the highs and lows I can take!.

I am in a group online where alot of women have been with their bipolar husbands for years, and it is kinda disheartening. Getting them to see something is wrong, be willing to take meds and stay on them, and finding ways through the inevitable hard times. Bipolar often overlaps personality disorder and addiction... It's not that easy to diagnose.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 2:05 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I'm bipolar. Why is it you think he has it. So many people now are so sure they know someone who has it, but most people don't know what it really entails. But anyways I take lithium and it has helped me and my family significantly
    maggieradford

Answer by maggieradford at 4:02 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I have been married to my husband for almost 4 years now... he is a bipola schizto however you spell it.. No he is not on any meds because he wont stay on them.... i highly doubt that we will make it to our 4 year anniversary.... i have dealt with people that are bipolar all my life..... my mother is bipolar and so are my 3 sisters as well as i am.. i am not on any meds cause my doc says i dont need them where as my husbands many doctors that he has seen says he needs to be on them... he just wont stay on them... its hard since we have 2 wonderfull lil girls together but im just not sure how much more i can take cause here lately its been nuts.... we have seperated 3 times and when it happens again and i know its goin to it will be for the last time... so i wish you the best of luck with ur bf..... be careful about how you bring it up to him.... their moods can flip very easily
    babydrockout

Answer by babydrockout at 8:31 PM on Nov. 10, 2008