Do you eat anything special for good luck on New Year's day?

I will serve black-eyed peas and tamales to my family on New Year's day.  Both are said to bring good luck or prosperity in the coming year.  I can't say it has always worked out that way, but it is a nice tradition.

What's on the menu for your family?  Is there any special significance to your choices?

TweenAndTwinMom

Asked by TweenAndTwinMom at 5:39 PM on Dec. 28, 2010 in Food & Drink

• my mother always cooked black eye peas for good luck so I carry on the tradition to my own family as an adult I'm goin to cook black eye peas
    bmwlover

Answer by bmwlover at 5:42 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Copius amounts of alcohol.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:47 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Wow I had never heard of eating anything for good luck.. good to know :)
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:43 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• no
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 6:21 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I hadn't heard of eating tamales for the New Year. We will be having black eye peas, collard greens, and cornbread.. The peas and the greens will be cooked with fat back. All of that, minus the cornbread, is traditionally thought of as bringing good luck. I may add tamales to the menu. I love those things!
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 7:07 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Black eyed peas (signifies coins), turnip greens (signifies dollars), and cornbread (signifies gold).

Answer by missanc at 7:21 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Black eyed peas for good luck, coleslaw for good fortune. :-)
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 10:31 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• We have black eye pea soup for good luck ,cabbage for wealth and cornbread. Just tp play it safe we have long noodles on the Chinese new year for long life. LOL

drfink

Answer by drfink at 11:24 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• No--- we will be returning from skiing and staying at a cabin in the north woods and probably stop at Subway or something. LOL. We have no superstitions or traditions. It is just the start of 2011....nothing more than that.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 11:47 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Corned beef and cabbage is ours.....will have some black eyed peas and corn bread on the side
    LilyPondOasis

Answer by LilyPondOasis at 6:43 AM on Dec. 29, 2010