WHY???

My daughter is Latino but is light skinned.Very light skinned.But everyone at her school is darker than her.But everyday people make fun of her for being pale.And they always say she has a big head.But she doesnt.Its bigger than most of the people's at her school but its not huge.And it makes her really insecure.Why do people do this?

KimKards

Asked by KimKards at 5:42 PM on Dec. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• Tell her to embrace her uniqueness and like it.
    I can not say why, but I had to learn this.
    idaspida

Answer by idaspida at 5:45 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Kids are cruel. If you are in the minority, or appear to be, they will pick at you. It's a shame your daughter has to go through this. )c:
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 5:45 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• ugh kids are so mean!!! Explain to your daughter how beautiful she is! And kids say this cause they are Jealous :)
    ErinML

Answer by ErinML at 5:47 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• They are mean because they are children. They likely lack empathy. That is not uncommon in children and teens.
    SpaceToast

Answer by SpaceToast at 5:59 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Because they are bullies. If it is bothering her you can talk to the principle since it is their job to deal with bullies. It is also against the law to bully in many places.
    Look I also am Hispanic and I am very light complected. I even had strawberry blonde hair as a child and went to a school with other Hispanics who were darker. I got called names and after awhile they left me alone because I was friends with everyone. It will pass, but like I said if it is bothering her have a talk with the school admins and maybe the parents.

Answer by gemgem at 6:08 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• kids are so mean, my daughter comes home on a daily saying something about the boy paul, first his daddy is better than hers, her hair is stupid, she was taught the wrong way to tie her shoes, and the worst part, "her food smells like poo" and he eats the same thing! School food!
    courtneycra

Answer by courtneycra at 6:37 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Tell her she is beauiful! I gotta a big head and i love my big head! lol
    Patience909

Answer by Patience909 at 7:15 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Children identify people by "grouping". They create in-groups and out-groups. They often put someone in a group based on their appearance. It's "us and them" mentality - a part of being human.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 7:20 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Kids does it to mean to other kids.
    kewi86

Answer by kewi86 at 7:22 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• its not ppl its kids and thats how kids are (tell her they all like her and thats there way of showing it) BUT I would talk to the teacher and tell her that they need to redirect these kids an its hurting ur daughter :)
    premiemom18

Answer by premiemom18 at 1:52 AM on Dec. 29, 2010