just got a call from a bill collector.. (im recently married so im a little thrown off)

Some lady called our house phone, saying my husband agreed to pay his old cell phone bill(that i didnt even know he had due) from his PREVIOUS fiance. they owed 1,000 dollars (from TWO YEARS AGO) he or she for that matter hasnt paid a thing on it.

She mentioned she had talked to him and he agreed to make 4 200 dollar payments and hasnt done so and she would wait one more day before she makes him pay the full thousand. She was rude, of course lol, & I dont think it helped that im his WIFE and had no idea what she was talking about..

Im just a little not thrilled that my husband and his previous relationship still have BILLS in his name that I AM REQUIRED TO DEAL WITH! what the heck?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:56 PM on Dec. 28, 2010 in Money & Work

• You might check with hubby before you get too upset, bill collectors will say anything to try and get their money.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 5:57 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I would ask him about the bill. If it is valid, then he needs to pay and hurry and get it out of his name so that it does not affect anything the both of you do together financially.
    hap2bmom

Answer by hap2bmom at 6:02 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• She could have just been pulling that out of her butt. I had a bill collector try to tell me that she called my grandma and set up a payment plan for 100 bucks a month. She claimed she hadn't gotten any of the money yet. My grandma is totally deaf and has been for fourty years. She also only gets 800 a month.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 5:59 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Looks like your husband has some explaining to do and some money to pay, and now you're, unfortunately, responsible, don't say you're his wife on the phone because then they will call and harass you as well.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 5:59 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• just changed your number and ask him to explain.
    deyrita09

Answer by deyrita09 at 6:04 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Ask your husband about this calmly before you get too upset with him. My husband has a common name, and on more than one occasion we have had collectors who really were looking for a different person with the same name. They have even claimed that they had talked to him and set up a payment plan. It was all bogus.

I've also had an unexpected collection pop up from the past that I was not aware of. My ex husband had his car repossessed, and two years later they came to me about it. He also took out credit cards in my name that I did not know about until after they went to collection. To say the least I was not thrilled about that.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 6:07 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Talk to your husband and don't deal with the bill collector anymore.
    sondaughter312

Answer by sondaughter312 at 6:10 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I added my DH as a co applicant on a Dillard's credit card I applied for. My Mom told me it meant he would have to pay if I don't. So I paid that card off myself and cancelled it. I told my DH when the cards came in the mail. He wasn't mad because I had corrected it.
    idaspida

Answer by idaspida at 6:12 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I went through a very similar situation, I would tell them to stop calling you - it's not your debt technically, ask him about it, my hubby's ex-wife racked up thousands of dollars in debt with out ever saying a word, His credit tanked suddenly I"m getting calls filled with lies, they tend to push the harrassing limits.He has to be the one to settle it, not you even though you are married.
    lovemylilman06

Answer by lovemylilman06 at 6:24 PM on Dec. 28, 2010