• In the Spotlight:

is it safe to use baby powder on 3-4 month olds ??

this is my first born so still in the learning process. alot of people have advised me against using baby powder on babies. they say babies breathe it in and well it's not good for their respiratory system, they can later develop breathing problems (my baby doesn't have asthma or anything though). if that were true they would have definitely pasted an age limit on baby products.
but im still confused, so i thought I'd ask the experienced mommies. is it safe ??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:09 PM on Dec. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I never used it b/c everyone advised against it and I never found it really necessary.
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 6:09 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I didn't use it on either of my children because of potential problems and like PP said, never found it necessary, so no for me.

bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 6:11 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I used it for my kids 40 years ago and they never had problems, but docs say now not to use it, and it really isn't necessary. Change them often enough and they shouldn't get a rash, and if they do, creams are better. The problem with the powder I believe is the talc, if you feel like you have to use it, try to find a cornstarch bases one.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 6:14 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I never used it, and I never will because of the potential problems!
    TsMommy428

Answer by TsMommy428 at 6:24 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I used it but mainly just in the diaper area for rash and that was all I used it for and nothing else. The bottle should say if safe or not and ages.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 6:10 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I never used it either. I only use it now when she poops and only because it smells good. Lol but she is a toddler.
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 6:11 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I used it for diaper changing. Just don't sprinkle it around so the child is choking from the shaking of the bottle but you already know that. I don't see any harm in baby powder. When its out & sticky outside their little bodies need baby powder to make them feel comfortable too.
    bmwlover

Answer by bmwlover at 6:12 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I would NEVER use any products containing Talc, including makeups which have it. The health risks not only to your baby, but to you simply aren't worth it. Talc has been linked to respiratory issues as well as some cancers. If you want an alternative, use corn starch, but to be honest, I have never seen the need for either.

The Risks of Baby Powder

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:16 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I never used it. It is not needed, and there are risks in using it, so why bother?
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:55 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• If you DO decide to use it, I would suggest putting a little in the palm of your hand, away from baby, and gently patting it on so that not much powder becomes airborne.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:24 PM on Dec. 28, 2010