is it normal is it normal if a 14 month old isnt interested in eating food that you have to chew? ex...(puffs)

My son is 14 months old and he doesnt seem to want to eat those little puffs or anything that he has to chew....he gags on them...what should I do? should I wait untill hes ready, or go to a doctor about this?

Erinmarie90

Asked by Erinmarie90 at 6:40 PM on Dec. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would wait and re introduce them in a few more months. That does not seem like there is anything wrong just that he is not ready for them yet. Have you tried cheerios? My Son never really liked the puffs either but loved cheerios & teething biscuits. But if he is prone to choking, I would wait. The teething biscuits are long but as soon as my son got down to a bite sized piece, i would take it away because I didn't want him to choke either.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 6:44 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• wait until hes ready. All kids are different, some eat solids at 9 months some dont start till 2 yo. Just try keep giving them to him and offering as an alternative
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 6:44 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I would mention it to his ped next time you are there but not make a special trip over it. Is there anything else he is sensitive about? It could be he just isn't ready or it could be a sensory sensitivity issue.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:13 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• well he just never put anything in his mouth ever. not even toys so he just doesnt seem interested in the food...only baby food
    Erinmarie90

Comment by Erinmarie90 (original poster) at 7:30 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• That is unusual and was my friends first sign something was up with her little man. I am in no way trying to scare you . lol. But I would make a point of telling the ped next time you are in for something. Occupational therapy can help you get him on track if the ped feels it is necessary. :0)
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:23 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Oh gosh... Well I will have to make an appt then... I will call the doctor tomorrow. thanks ladies for your advice and help!
    Erinmarie90

Comment by Erinmarie90 (original poster) at 8:36 PM on Dec. 28, 2010