I have a 5 year old daughter that cries about everything, just this evening while she was watching Flicka, I heard her cring in her room and I asked her what was wrong, she said"flicka is going to die", she has seen the movie before and it didnt effect her. Thats not the only time she cries. I am at my end and I dont know what to do? My mother in law thinks I should have her checked for Bi-polarism. Help Please...

ConnieCrites

Asked by ConnieCrites at 6:54 PM on Dec. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• I don't think its bipolar disorder if the only symptom is that she is hyper sensitive.

It could just be a phase or she may be stressed about something? She could also just be hypersensitive, which is just a personality trait.

good luck
    Anonymous

• Thanks for that feed back, I just get worried and I get stressed myself when she does. Im just scared I am missing something..
    ConnieCrites

Comment by ConnieCrites (original poster) at 6:57 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Girl, read up on PMS.. seriously, they now think that girls at that age go through PMS symptoms. My granddaughter is six and for the past year, we have noticed it a lot with her during certain times of the month. They really think that girls are starting at a much younger age now and that this is probably how it's affecting them.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 6:58 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• keep track of her meltdowns.....she 'could' already be having PMS symptoms. My niece was the same way. My sister works with lots of Doctors and they told her that girls as young as 5 can display PMS symptoms well before (years before) they start having their period
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 6:58 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Wow! PMS is a 5 year old!? I'm glad I have a boy!
    I feel for ya hon!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:13 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• It sounds like she is stress about something. You could talk to the doctor and find out what he/she thinks that you should do.
    kewi86

Answer by kewi86 at 7:15 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• These phases are often a typical part of growing up. She's learning to feel empathy and sympathy, and learning to regulate her own emotions.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 7:18 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• how old was she the first couple of times she watched the movie??
    maybe if she is a bit older now when she cried, she may have actually been UNDERSTANDING what was going on??
    i would probably pass off the crying for now. there are more serious signs of bi-polar disorder than crying.
    like severe mood swings..?? and they would have to be to the extreme and not like some temper-tantrum thrown by your average child.
    MicheleB.

Answer by MicheleB. at 9:47 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• My daughter reacts this way to songs she hears or some movies. I just try to ask her why it is making her feel sad and we work through it. I don't think there is anything wrong with it...she is just becoming more emotional.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 12:33 AM on Dec. 29, 2010