Economists around the world are predicting a second depression worse than the first. How many of you are prepared for something like this?

Listening to the Alex Jones show there have been several world economists that have predicted the US falling into a worse depression than the Great Depression. This has been backed up by both the Bank of Scotland and the Swiss Banks. How many families are prepared to handle this kind of national tragedy?

luvmybabieskna

Asked by luvmybabieskna at 1:52 PM on Nov. 10, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

Level 1 (-3 Credits)
  • I have no clue who Alex Jones is but I do pay attention to the stock market and see the unemloyment numbers and now today more job layoffs and closings of stores and AIG needing more money and the fact that there are many analysists that predict we are in for a bumpy ride for several years to come. That being said, I have a garden, my family hunts and fishes, I can and put up as much as I can and I buy all I can to prepare for the bad times to come. I also think we will need to prepare with things like candles for light and lanterns and what ever you can because when there is no money there is no utilities. Just a fact of life. It sounds very bad when put into words but we are used to the electric being there and the water coming out of the faucet and the phone and the computer and our cars and plenty of food.
    foreverb3

Answer by foreverb3 at 7:20 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• My husband has a good job so I'm not too worried about it.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 1:55 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I'm worried I've been saving money and stocking up on can foods when there are sells. Aldi's is cheap to buy from. It doesn't matter really how well a job pays people can get laid of an it's easy to go completly brok in no time.
    Lizzie32390

Answer by Lizzie32390 at 1:58 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Well my husband is military so I think we will be alright. Remember the ones who suffered the most were the rich, the poor didn't have anything before the depression and they didn't have anything during the depression. We are like the poor we don't have much so it wouldn't affect us that much because we have learned to curb our ways of living and just live within our means.
    usmc0351wife

Answer by usmc0351wife at 1:58 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• My husband had a great job, but now he has been laid-off, due to company downsizing. Luckily we saved and put things away for a rainy day. We have plenty of seeds for a huge garden next year, so if we had to we could live of veggies, our gas tank is full for our stove, we use would heat so we are good there..needless to say I think we'll be fine.
    Izzyscrazymom

Answer by Izzyscrazymom at 1:59 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I am not the LEAST BIT prepared for that. Other than the fact that we own our cars, DH and I are 0% prepared for a depression.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 1:59 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• "the poor didn't have anything before the depression and they didn't have anything during the depression."

Mmmhmmm, that's pretty much what bracket we fall into :D I think we'll be just fine. We live within our means as well.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 2:00 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• wood heat..lol darn-typos
    Izzyscrazymom

Answer by Izzyscrazymom at 2:00 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I think most of you are kidding yourselves if, you think it won't affect you much. It will effect everyone a LOT!
    Anonymous

• well i pay my tithe so the lord will help my family through. we may never get rich but i expect this is true even more so that obama is the elected. we live below our means but sometimes the means out weighs our income. especially when one lost their job. i think we will be ok once next yrs housing tax credit we pay all our debts off and make sure we don't incur more debt from that point on. car paid off, old charge cards.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 2:21 PM on Nov. 10, 2008