What am I doing wrong?!

I am 25. Occasionally I have a pimple or two, around the time of my period. I have large pores and an uneven skin tone, so I feel its best to wear some foundation. But I have had this problem for YEARS, I can't for the life of me find a foundation that works. I need something that will cover the occasional break out, even out my skin tone, and minimize the appearance of my pores. Problem is, literally EVERY product I have tried looks too thick, not cakey, but it looks like I have a lot on, even if I really don't. I have tried using professional quality brushes, sponges, my fingers to apply, with the same results. I have tried Mayballine, Cover Girl, Revlon, MAC, Bare Essentials, ELF, Almay, Avon. I am willing to pay whatever to acheive the look I need & want. I want to look fresh, natural, even. I would like to have that dewy look. Any tips or advice? Please help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:16 PM on Dec. 28, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• Try using a light weight liquid followed by a loose powder finish. I like Neutragena liquid with the salic acid in the foundation!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:18 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Have you tried a tinted moisturzer with just concealer where you need it?
    angiemgiu

Answer by angiemgiu at 7:18 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• have you tried bare minerals MATTE???

not plain bare minerals but matte... go to sephora or wherever they sell it in your area and have them test it out and ask their advice what they think would work good for your skin.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 7:18 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Bare Minerals - it really is awesome.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 7:18 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Or maybe a primer first?
    angiemgiu

Answer by angiemgiu at 7:19 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• thank you mommas! keep 'em comin'!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:20 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• primer may work good too
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 7:21 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• When you are using a mineral makeup you may be using too much, it's such a tiny sprinkle that you need for your entire face, anymore and you get the cakey look you describe
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 7:27 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Face primer really helps to minimize the large pores and give the face a polished base before applying makeup. Also, to try to even out your skin tone, try yellowish concealers to help with the red and brown areas of the face. You never want to over do the concealer because when you apply the foundation it may look cakey. Another thing is, you want to make sure you match your make up exactly to what your skin color really is. The trick to having great makeup is product knowledge in my opinion. Know the ingredients in your foundations and concealers. You may be having an allergic reaction to something and that is what's causing the uneven skin tone. In my experience this happened, and I switched to Beauty Wise all natural foundation, and my skin no longer felt like it was on fire and my skin tone is even. Mineral makeup is usually the least one that will make you look cakey. All it takes is just a little bit and your good to go
    BrandyBaby22

Answer by BrandyBaby22 at 8:14 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I think Bare Minerals is the answer for you. I can wear the regular stuff, but some people have to wear the matte stuff. I have horrible acne because of my PCOS, but that stuff keeps it at bay.
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 8:25 PM on Dec. 28, 2010