Craving ice????!!!!!

Is a sign of Iron deficiency (low Iron)?  Where do you all get that from.

Sounds like dehydration to me.  JMObad

Asked by louise2 at 7:57 PM on Dec. 28, 2010 in Health

• It could be any number of things honestly. From dehydration, to low iron, to another vitimin deficiency.
    You get iron from red meat, dark green leafy greens, beans, and other things.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 8:11 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• i have heard that, here's an article from the mayo clinic about it. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/chewing-ice/AN01278

it is not known specifically why, but there is a very close connection.

princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:05 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Ive heard that that is part of PICA and you are craving a mineral you are deficient of
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 8:07 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I red it. But that is not the only thing it said could be the reason for ice chewing. I love eating ice, all my life. And I am not iron deficient. I just like to.
    I hate trick questions. You set people up to say the wrong thing then bash them for it. I still thing it could be dehydratiom.

Comment by louise2 (original poster) at 8:12 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• it could be from dehydration, but there is a definite link between ice chewing and being anemic. you were asking why people make that association, implying that it is a old wives' tale. it also said that it could be to relieve symptoms due to the anemia.....maybe you also have those symptoms but from a different cause. then again maybe you just like to chew ice because of the texture or coldness. it doesn't mean all people who chew ice are anemic, it said that most anemic people like to chew ice. there's a difference.

princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:19 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Hmmm... I seem to remember reading somewhere that ice chomping is a sign of diabetes and that the iron deficiency happens because of the ice eating, and does not cause the ice eating.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 8:25 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• You would.
    Anonymous