Acting differant...

My 14mo old is pretty good most of the time, but it seems when her G-ma &/or Papa are around she acts totally differant(won't eat or sit in the highchair, screams, etc). They baby her and she gets away with more. Anyone else have this problem?

Madalynns_mom07

Asked by Madalynns_mom07 at 2:04 PM on Nov. 10, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I always have this problem with my in laws! As soon as my 20 month old sees them she suddenly changes from this angel into a little monster, she has double as many tantrums, but as soon as they're gone she's back to normal. But all my kids are like this when their grandparents are there, I've just learnt to live with it as I talked to them but it made no difference..
    haleykarson

Answer by haleykarson at 2:11 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• The only options you have are removing grandparents from picture (which I'm sure won't happen), just coping with it (which means thigns just stay how they are), or somehow get grandparents to knock it off. Easier said than done. I'm trying to do this now with my future inlaws! My own family gets it (cause they had to put up with me), and they follow my rules with L, but his family doesn't. To top it off, they're completely set in Latino ways, which seems to mean the mother's wants for her kids don't mean anything. It's not easy, but sometimes you have to lay down the law with the grandparents. Otherwise, you have to continue puting up with any bratty behavior when they're around.
    MammaCat

Answer by MammaCat at 2:24 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• yeah I do have this problem... my step daughter doesn't eat her dinner when her grandmother is around, she'll have two bites and say "my belly hurts" and then her grandmother will fill her with icecream and sugary garbage... last night I put my foot down and I told her that if she didn't finish her dinner, we were going to let her brother eat her ice cream and she would have to go to bed early... she still fussed and gave the puppy eyes to her grandmother but I gave "the look" to grandma and I think maybe the grandmother should either be spoken to, or be set strait by making her feel like she's not doing the child any favors by not diciplining her/him
    not-so-des-hw

Answer by not-so-des-hw at 4:47 PM on Nov. 10, 2008