How old is your dog?

what is the oldest dog you have had and what kind was/is it? Mine is a golden/black lab mix and she is 17.

sue118

Asked by sue118 at 8:01 PM on Dec. 28, 2010 in Pets

• My dog is 10. She's a black lab mix.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 8:02 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Growing up we had two black labs. I think they were a couple years old. One was hit by a car and the other we had to give away due to moving.

My husband and I have a 7 month old dog. She's a Puggle.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 8:03 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• when I was a child we had a Newfoundland/wolf Mix that lived to 15 when we had to put her down, she was having many more medical problems.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 8:04 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• my own? My mom has had dogs when we were kids that were pretty old. I think the oldest was about 21 or so. The dog we have is or oldest we have had on our own being married. He is 6 years old. He is a black lab and shepered mix
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 8:04 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• the dog we had as kids was a collie and german shephard mix and lived to be about 24 it was old and lived through the death of both my dad and grandma then my sister took her
    we currently have a golden retriever that is 9
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 8:04 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• We had a St. Bernard that lived to be almost 9, She always had skin allergy problems and it just got too bad :( Best dog I ever knew. We put her down in Aug, It's still hard now..I miss her so

bizima4

Answer by bizima4 at 8:07 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• oh, I'm so sorry bizima4. that's hard.

I am glad to see that there are people who have dogs older than mine. It always seems like people are shocked when I say her age. It seems though like most of the older dogs are mixes.
    sue118

Comment by sue118 (original poster) at 8:14 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Right now I have an 8 yr old, 6yr old and 1 yr old dog. the oldest dog I have had so far was a 16 year old Golden retriever. Zippy died just a few weeks short of her 17th birthday. I made the decision to put her to sleep because we discovered she had a brain tumor. She had otherwise been relatively healthy though I will admit her body was starting to fail her. We built her ramps because she started having trouble going up the deck steps(they were steep). My Aussie was 12 years old when he died and we don't know for sure why he died. I woke up one morning and found his body on the floor next to me. My vet suspects he had an aneurysm in his heart.

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 8:42 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Our one Golden was 13.5 when we had to have her put down in May :(
    Carolannie

Answer by Carolannie at 10:54 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• My chocolate labarador Angus just turned 13 but has bowel cancer and is likely to need to be put to sleep in the new year.

We have an English cocker spaniel puppy who will be 6 months old next week. Both the puppy and the lab (which was one of 3 originally who have died over the past 18 months from various illnesses) were rescued and in a year or so we will be rescuing another older dog.. ideally aged 4-5 yrs old.
    little.knickers

Answer by little.knickers at 10:51 AM on Dec. 29, 2010