Enlisting Options: I NEED HELP!!

I plan on enlisting for the airforce when my daughter is 6mo ... I know that her future will be secured and stable once I'm in but it has been brought to my attention that I could do something else now, join later, and go in as an officer rank... here are my options;

1. My original plan was to leave ASAP so that I was actually ABLE to leave her here long enough for basic/AIT... (my goal/dream job is a combat medic). Once I was in I planned to go to college, since the AF would pay for it, and get my nursing degree. The only downfall to this plan would be that I would have to give up the MAJOR 1st's in my daughter's life. Things that I would NEVER be able to get back. :( Plus I would be at a lower rank.

2. I could wait to enlist and go ahead and go to college and get my degree, THEN enlist. At that point, I would be able to go into the airforce at OFFICER rank( better rank= higher pay). With this I'm pretty sure that I would get the job I want. Once I were to retire, what hospital WOULDN'T hire me after getting my degree PLUS the military training?? Here's the risk for this one: - Possibly not wanting to leave my little girl due to the extra years spent with her and the stronger bond. The upside: I wouldn't have to sacrifice those special moments with my daughter...

I feel pinned between that Rock and Hard Place... I REALLY need some opinions!! I don't want to leave my little girl, but I know that the benifits would pay off... I don't know what to do... Is it REALLY worth giving up those most precious moments???

HELP PLEASE!!

MicheleB.

Asked by MicheleB. at 8:11 PM on Dec. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• First question I have is, who will be watching your daughter while you are in the Basic/AIT, in the field training, and on deployments? The Air Force will also want to know this as well. You will be required to fill out a family care plan, so this is the first thing to consider.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:17 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• my husband. he will be primary caretaker. were in the process of saving up money so that he will have enough to pay for daycare until im done training and then they will be moved to wherever i am.
    MicheleB.

Comment by MicheleB. (original poster) at 8:18 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• if you do the first option you always could become in the OE ranks (where you start enlisted then change later after you get your degree) 2 you get into college and then go either are good options, I know the air force always seems to be looking for RNs, I would talk to a recuiter but take everything they say with a grain of salt- they're looking for numbers, I think that your daughter will forgive you for what ever you miss... with skype and vidoes you will still get to see her everyday (after basic) and then she can move closer once you get done with your training. Good luck at what ever you choose, sorry I wasn't too much help
    lovemylilman06

Answer by lovemylilman06 at 8:18 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I would go with #2. You will regret it if you miss out in the beginning. You will still have a future for you and your daughter if you go to college first and you never know what the future holds.
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 8:19 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Are you married? Because if you are not(you are a single parent). You will have to either give up custody to some one while you are in the military or get married to some one to keep your child.

I know, because my youngest DD tried as a single parent and that is what they told her. She decided to join.

Answer by louise2 at 8:20 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Okay, a few other questions now. Would you be able to financial afford for you to go to school for 4 years? If not, then you may want to join the Air Force now and work on your degree while you are in. Once you get your degree, you can always attend OCS. If you can afford for you to go to school right now, then you may want to do that and possible do a College JROTC program if they have one available.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:22 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• see thats the thing. I can't afford it. and IF i were to do the college thing now.. I would have to quit my job.. I don't think that i would be able to handle FUll time student Full time worker AND full time mom/wife... and that would be putting A LOT of strain on my husband :(
    MicheleB.

Comment by MicheleB. (original poster) at 8:24 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I would enlist now. Daddy is there for the big moments and can always video tape it. A lot of military men do it.... what makes it different for a woman??
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 8:37 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Something else to consider. Would you be able to financially live off of your pay from the Air Force until your hubby is able to find a job at your new location? If not, you may want to work on paying off any loans, credit cards, etc. I think that you have a really good plan. Join the Air Force and work on your degree. I attend college on post and there were several military men and women who would take a class during lunch time or right after they got off from work. Good Luck!

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:41 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• you're right... Maybe its just me, in some way, trying ot make excuses to stay?? Just really hard. and i feel that a mother has a bond stronger than the dad does, and that kinda makes it easier, slightly, for him to handle when gone? idk... maybe i should just go... go ahead and get it over with?? I just don't want to look back later on and regret the decision i made...
    MicheleB.

Comment by MicheleB. (original poster) at 8:42 PM on Dec. 28, 2010