my 4yr old broke out in hives.. never seen anything like this!..but then again, ive never seen anyone break out in hives..pic

the picture is from her belly.

My daughter tried on all her new clothes for Christmas, about 15 different things & I think that is where her rash came from.. the clothes were new, not washed, and we were just trying everything to make sure it fit. This morning, she woke up in a rash from her head to her toes. HUGE swelling red blotches all over herself. we went to the doctor, she is just allergic to something, they didnt know what.. and told me to put hydrocortizone cream on it, which I have twice(that was the limit) & benadryl. She just got some at 6:30 and cant have any more until 12:30 midnight.. her hives are getting worse.. and itchy!! Can i put more cream on? or is that dangerous?? I feel so bad for her it is just crazy. Any home remedies???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:12 PM on Dec. 28, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• i agree ...give benedryl and calamine lotion...if it gets worse take her to the er!!!!
    Amberlovesher3

Answer by Amberlovesher3 at 8:17 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• If is worse since returning home, that means she is still being irritated by whatever caused the rash. Start investigating anything that was brought into the house in the past few days and see if you can figure out what it is.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 8:22 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• go to the drug store and get oatmeal bath - it's powdered. Add to lukewarm bath and let it dissolve. It will help tremendously with the itching.
    horsegal2760

Answer by horsegal2760 at 8:17 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• try aveno oatmeal bath and benedryl! Poor baby that looks awful!
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 8:14 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• calomine lotion like now... and if that doesn't work hospital...
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 8:14 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• why was there a limit on the hydrocortizone cream? was is a RX?
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 8:15 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• calomine lotion..... and oatmeal bath is AWESOME !!!! (like the ones they have for baby rashes)
    Poor baby that's a heck of a reaction!!!!
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 8:17 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• justthe 1%.. i didnt know there was a limit either.. she said only twice daily. I even took her to the doctor, but of course when we were there, is when it was VERY mild & its just now ALL coming back. the doctor said it may continue & just to keep doing what i've been doing... however, i think it is CRAZY. its over her entire body and came out of nowhere
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:17 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Poor baby! That totally sucks. My middle child had a reaction to an antibiotic and was covered in hives. It was super scary. The benadryl should kick in soon and the rash should disappear by tomorrow.

Try to distract her with toys or a movie, I would not add anything else to the skin. Make sure she has a bath to wash off anything that is irritating her skin. Other than that, just let the benadryl work.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 8:20 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• a hot or warm shower or bath can make it worse.
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 8:24 PM on Dec. 28, 2010