what can i give my baby so she can have a bowel movement?

She is 1 1/2 week old & gets constipated. I wanna cry when she struggles & crys a lot plz help.

nora_flores

Asked by nora_flores at 8:29 PM on Dec. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• Youll prob need to change her formula. in the mean time id call the hospital or have a dr paged. I dont wanna give advice for a baby that young
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 8:31 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I used a drop of Karo Syrup in my kids bottles. Only one drop, it really worked great.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 8:31 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• If she's on powder formula you can buy the liquid formula and give her a bottle every now and then and she should go. If it gets worse I would talk to your doctor.
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 8:31 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• It is normal for a baby to go up to a week without a BM. It's only constipation if it comes out hard and pebbly.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 8:35 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• prune juice i just had the same prob with my 2 month old son only give 1/2oz no more trust me it helped a lot
    ponyland

Answer by ponyland at 8:49 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• a supository or a bottle with 1oz kayro syrup and 3 oz warm water
    2boysmommy.js

Answer by 2boysmommy.js at 8:58 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• NO KARO SYRUP. It has a risk of botulism poisoning, just like honey does. Are you certain it's TRUE constipation? What is she fed? What are the symptoms? How often does she go, and what is the stool like?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:16 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Well she only has a bowel movement if my sister helps her. What she does is dips a q tip with vasiline & pokes gently in & out. But if we dnt do that my baby won't go at all. The stool is green & comes out really hard at first & then softens.
    nora_flores

Comment by nora_flores (original poster) at 9:25 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• i agree, you may need to alternate formulas. I had the same problem with my daughter... BUT like also stated above, are you sure its actual constipation?? some babies vary as to how often they have bowel movements. It turned out that my daughter was one of the few that only had one every 2-3 days, so i spent all that money changing formulas for no reason, and it was a normal baby-poo and she was never fussy or showed signs of pain or discomfort.

maybe try keeping an eye on her and see if she actually has somewhat of a schedule of her own.

NEVER try using suppositories or anything like that on infants. Doc's dont recommend this but my mother advised vasoline and a thermometer. lube the thermometer up and put ONLY about 1/4" in her rectum at a SMALL angle and that should give her the urge to go just like a suppository would for a child/adult.
    MicheleB.

Answer by MicheleB. at 9:29 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I would call your Ped to ask what you can do. Your baby is too young to take advise from non-medical professionals. It doesn't sound serious (albeit uncomfortable) but a Ped or a nurse and the Pediatrician's office might be able to give you more sound advise.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:01 PM on Dec. 28, 2010