How do you wean a pacifier away from your baby?

My daughter is almost a year old. I always told myself that by the time she got her first tooth the pacifier would be gone...she's now got a few teeth and has had them for a good few months now. I need help taking her pacifier away without it being too traumatic for her.

Evylyn

Asked by Evylyn at 9:10 PM on Dec. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• cut the tip off , give it to her and she wont like how it feels that way -- open and a hole and she probly wont want it anymore , be sure no more around or cut tip off all of them , this worked for my son.
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 9:14 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I've heard about doing that, I'm glad it worked for your son but I'm not so sure I want to do that myself. Thank you for the suggestion though! I still might try it I'm just not sure because I'm such a new mom...lol.
    Evylyn

Comment by Evylyn (original poster) at 9:17 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I always said that too but she was very attached and I just didn't stress about it. I changed my promise to myself and said never after 2 y/o. She got through a month before her 2nd baby and the Dr. said it could be from the pacifiers she was hiding around the house and so I told her we had to get rid of all of them and give them to new babies in the hospital. She quit cold turkey and it was never a problem for more than a week :) Good luck.
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 9:18 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• With both of my kids we limited it to the crib/bed at 1 year. I would take it away in the morning and they could have it at nap and bedtime. With my oldest, when he was 2 we "lost" the paci one night, he cried that one night but then never asked for it again. My youngest just became totally disinterested in his around 20 months. When he would find it in the house he started trying to shove it in his baby sister's mouth, so we just threw his away.
    So my advice would be to take it away slowly - are there places/times when it's okay with you for her to have it? Try taking it away for longer and longer periods of time until she doesn't need it anymore.

Answer by missanc at 9:22 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Sorry that's supposed to say she got thrush a month before her 2nd bday.
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 9:23 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Well that's the thing, I do the exact same thing! Lol....the only time she gets it is at nap and bed time. Although lately she's been getting it more often because she throws it out of her crib and just happens to remember where it landed so I find it in her mouth more often then should be. I TRY to keep it to only bed and nap time but she's a roaming toddler...she finds things. Haha.
    Evylyn

Comment by Evylyn (original poster) at 9:25 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• i just took it away around 6 months, he kept taking it out and screaming at it so i thought it was time to take it away
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 9:41 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Take a string and tie it to a door knob. If she wants to suck on it she will have to sit there to do it.
    mommytoJames512

Answer by mommytoJames512 at 10:00 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• i would just get rid of it......shell forget about it sooner or later...
    ponyland

Answer by ponyland at 11:37 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• At 6 months I just took it away cold turkey while she was awake. She still gets it for naps and bedtime and long car trips - like if we are going out of town, not just running errands. She nursed a little more often, but it wasn't too bad.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:45 PM on Dec. 28, 2010