Why do you believe what you believe?

Were you raised in the religion you are now, or is it one you converted to of your own volition? If you converted, what was the process like?

kasaloso

Asked by kasaloso at 9:10 PM on Dec. 28, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I was raised Catholic and am now atheist. I just asked questions, researched, and followed my heart.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 9:18 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Raised christian-in church 3+ times a week ( Assembly Of God) and even bribed as I got older to go.
    As a teen I took a mythology class in high school much to my parents horror, and that same year-I had another class that took a week to touch on major religions and a bit of history. I realised that there were people who believed OTHER things than we did and started seeing the bible as mythology...time went on and I tried to pull away but like I said- I was bribed and made to continue going until I moved out for good. I met my husband at age 22 and he was an atheist and I eventually figured out that there was a name for not believing in any Gods...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:18 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• forgot to add- the more I learn of other religions and of christianity, the more I know that believing in a God is not for me
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:20 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I believe what I believe because of a lifetime of learning and cultivating my faith, from my own study and contemplation and relationship with God. I was raised in a Christian home, but was encouraged to think for myself, to think outside the box and find my own understanding. I believe what I believe because through my study of the various religions I have found peace and love, and I have felt a connection to the Divine and the Truth through each faith I've encountered. Its what resonates with me, its who I am....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:26 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I believe in God he is with us always he has not walked away from us he has not turn his back on us and his love he has for us is for ever he will never stop loving us,he is so wonderful.I have been in and out of church my whole life..God he sends us friends in our life to help us with our walk.he sends us a message threw others and other ways to open our eyes to things..
    kristylynn137

Answer by kristylynn137 at 9:28 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• yup
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 9:36 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Raised Christian, am now an Atheist. Asking questions, and research has led me to the conclusion that mankind created gods as a means to explain the natural world around them and as their knowledge of the world grew their belief in deity's also evolved from explaining natural phenomenums to explaining more complex philosophical concepts such as "life's meaning". The truth remains that Gods are still a figment of man's creation menat only to explain that which they cannot answer themselves.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 9:52 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Raised fundie, now Atheist (always was). Played lip service for many years, until I moved out of my parents home, and away from the insanity @ 17. "Coming out" to the rest of my family has been interesting, since they all believe in different religions. lol We're a mixed bag.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:23 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I was exposed to baptist, catholic and Presbyterian churches but didn't have a clue. It wasn't until I was 19 I asked my Christian roommate questions and from there ended up choosing from my heart to believe and confess Him as Lord. My question was does He love me and they was good enough for me. I have grown in word, spirit and truth and still walk with the Lord 26 yrs later and will never change my mind.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 10:31 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I was raised in a catholic home but I was allowed to choose my own faith. I found my own faith by researching as many faiths as I could learn about and trying to find what I connected with on a deep level.
    MamaJasmine

Answer by MamaJasmine at 10:51 PM on Dec. 28, 2010