How can I get the Docs. to understand he isn't just a hiper 2 year old he needs to be tested?

I have taken my two year old son to the doc. to be tested because he really and truly has anger issues and I very much so believe he is ADHD or ADD. They just brush it off and say it is just the ter. two's.. But they don't see him threw out the day.. I do thou and omg he drives me freaking bonkers and will NEVER EVER sit still. And I'm having another child in just eight days and after surgey is going to be tuff to keep up with him. And I know he isn't going to like the baby.. Can anyone help me or have any advice on what to do?

MrsReneePerkins

Asked by MrsReneePerkins at 9:12 PM on Dec. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well, I have to agree with the doctors on this one... It is very early to be testing for any kind of ADD or ADHD. If you were saying he had other issues like motor or speech delays I might see where an eval. may come in handy but even then not for ADD or ADHD.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:14 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• They can't test them until school age. If he has a anger problem you could try counseling.
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 9:30 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• What is he going to do in counseling he is two?
    MrsReneePerkins

Comment by MrsReneePerkins (original poster) at 9:32 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• i would put him in daycare, like head start bc he probably just needs something to keep his mind running which could be the start of his frustration. start him on a schedule, breakfast, coloring, tv time, lunch, painting, numbers, nap, dinner, playtime, bath, book, bed. keep him on the schedule as best you can so he can feel like there is some control to his life. write down his schedule with pictures so he knows what is next and is aware there is a schedule.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 9:40 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I have him on a shed. And he sticks with it everyday.. it is just he always has to be moving and he can't take naps at all he gets up at 7 am everyday and if he takes a nap even just for 10 mins he will be up till one am.. if he doesn't have a nap he is in bed no later thatn 8:00pm .. I don't know what to do other that to pray!
    MrsReneePerkins

Comment by MrsReneePerkins (original poster) at 9:43 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• well they can do something better than medicating him
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 9:54 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I have to agree with the Drs here. I don't hear anything that is outside of the range of 2 yr old behavior. I have 2 boys, they are now 9 & 10 yrs old, so I know what you're talking about! I do have one who was diagnosed with ADHD at 7 yrs old, but really, at 2 yrs old his behavior was about the same as his brother. Even if they were to give him a diagnosis at this age, how would that help? ADHD or a hyper 2 yr old boy, they both need the same thing: lots of love and good parenting!

The one thing you might consider at this age is diet. Some kids really react to artificial colors, flavors, preservatives etc. You can try him on a diet of natural and whole foods and see if that helps.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:15 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• toddlers get angry because we can't understand them. I agree with the docs.. nothing wrong with him. My toddler won't sit still, he yells, headbutts, pinches, hits, and throws HUGE fits. He's not bad, he's a toddler. I recommend the book, "The Happiest Toddler on the Block" it helped me understand my son and how to communicate with him.. It hasn't helped 100% of the time but every little bit helps. Also, if you're pregnant, your son is picking up a lot of your emotions and stresses. I know how difficult it is to raise a toddler while you're pregnant.. my boys are only 22 months apart. Make sure he gets outside to play.. pent up energy can cause young kids to get extremely irritable. Not saying you're a bad parent at ALL here but if you're stressed you probably are reacting to his bad behaviors differently and more so than you used to. Make sure he knows he's loved. It's recommended to give kids 15min out of every hour of 1on1
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 3:14 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• time. It doesn't have to be anything that wears you out physically either. I tape a large piece of paper to our coffee table and color with my son, read book, tickle him, stack blocks together.. i've even been teaching him his numbers and letters.
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 3:15 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• You may want to read the book 1-2-3 magic. It's a great program for any age child.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:32 PM on Dec. 29, 2010