Is it wrong to ask my friend for gas money when I always drive?

I drive a minivan and my friend drives a very small car. We are always doing things together and some times she just wants me to come check something out with her..obviously I end up driving. I don't mind if it was a place I wanted to go, like to this Christmas lights thing(I was going with or without her), but I say no some times just because I don't want to waste my gas.

coreym

Asked by coreym at 9:13 PM on Dec. 28, 2010 in Money & Work

• I don't think it's wrong. Or I would say I can't go b/c I'm low on gas money, maybe she'll get the hint.
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 9:14 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I would just politely turn down the invite or ask if she can drive this time since you are short on gas money.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:15 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• not at all , they should be offering it.
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 9:17 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I would ask for gas money.
    sexyfancyface

Answer by sexyfancyface at 9:17 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I had a friend like that. I told her that if I drove, she would need to give me money for gas, or she could drive.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:17 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• yall friends so its kool. not wrong at all
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 9:24 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• If you are running around everywhere she wants to go then..no she should be giving you gas money out of the kindness of her heart! You shouldn't feel any shame in asking her! Tell her look I love you and you are my friend, but your going to have to help out sometimes!!
    MrsReneePerkins

Answer by MrsReneePerkins at 9:27 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I agree with the others, maybe drop a hint that money is tight and you need some money to cover the running around. I feel the same way too with my friend but they assume I will since I have a little one and she needs a car seat so I guess they assume it eliminates the need to move around car seats. I understand that and respect that but still.
    greensavvymama

Answer by greensavvymama at 9:35 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I think it depends on their situation. If their struggling for money and your not, I would let it go. If it's not that far out of your way i would let it go. But if you're always doing the driving and they have the money to chip in, I don't think it would be bad to ask.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 10:40 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• We are actually doing well financially. they aren't struggling but they do have some debt to pay off. My husband makes like $100 more than hers a month(we are military) but we have two children and they have 1.
    coreym

Comment by coreym (original poster) at 10:45 PM on Dec. 28, 2010