how did you choose your childs last name?

As an un wed mother i really wanted my only daughter to have my intials but I ended up giving her her fathers last name because i knew he would be a good father and I felt like there aren't many daddys girls that share their fathers last name. Plus us "h" women are crazy.lol. (all of us)

nevaehsmommy84

Asked by nevaehsmommy84 at 9:17 PM on Dec. 28, 2010 in Baby Names

• considering he left me when i got pregnant..there was no way i was gonna give my child his last name!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 9:19 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Even though I'm not married I gave my children my boyfriend's last name. Now I'm workin on that ring :)
    KellsB2Boys

Answer by KellsB2Boys at 9:19 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• i was married when we had my dd
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 9:21 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I'm married to his father, whom I love. Plus I hate my maiden name, so it's a no-brainer.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 9:22 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I think Mommy and baby should always have same last names, because chances are they are a lot more likely to always be together than Daddy. If your last name becomes Daddy's, then baby's can be changed as well, but not until yours does. That's just my honest opinion. I know too many children who have different last names as their mom's and no dad's in their life and they have to explain that one.....best of luck to you, I hope everything works out wonderfully for you and your daughter.
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 9:22 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I am 34 weeks pregnant with my first. And I have thought about this a lot. My bf and I have been together for 2 1/2 years and we live together. However, we are not planning a wedding anytime soon. So I have decided to give my son my last name. My bf has two sons from a previous relationship that carry his last name so it's not like he won't pass on his name. If we ever do get married I plan to change both me and my son's last name. But until then, i carried this baby and im giving birth to him so he will have my last name. It seems right to me.
    Kelli1012

Answer by Kelli1012 at 9:24 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• there was never a question in my mind for a moment that she would have my last name. he is no where on the birth certificate so he doesn;t get that privelege. he denied her from day one and i would deny him that and i will never change it. he even asked me in the hospital. the nerve of him to even ask that. besides he has to be there to sign the papers to even be on the birth certificate and he was not. so she happily has mine. i was never married to him and do not believe if you are not married to the father they should not have the last name.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 9:25 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• his dad's last name, bc what's the big deal anyways? i'm not one of those controlling people that HAVE TO HAVE the same last name. if i didn't want him to have his last name i wouldn't have had a child with him. and i literally had to jump through hoops to put him on the birth cert. so i know what i did was right. he has a good dad even if he's not the right person for me.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 9:28 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Is he man enough to sign the birth certificate if not he doesn't deserve the honor otherwise benefits such as SocSec are more easily obtained when the names the same and no test was ever done.

Just depends on the circumstances
    gapchnwa

Answer by gapchnwa at 9:36 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• i was married when i had my girl but knew we were headed for a divorce so i put my maiden name on her birth certificate regardless of whether or not he and i worked things out which we didn't. anyways this new baby will have current hubby's last name since i'm proud to be married to him and he's way better than my ex. the only thing we'll have to explain is the fact that the siblings will have different last names but they both match up with my last name since i hyphenated it when i got remarried.
    macks_mommy

Answer by macks_mommy at 9:45 PM on Dec. 28, 2010