What should I do about this situation?

I have a question about a very sad situation-I actually cried when I heard this as I sat on the computer (facebook). My stepson, who is almost 18 years old has been in and out of our lives for about 11 years now, meaning that he will live with us for awhile and then he will go back to his mom, who has been on drugs for many years. He went back to live with his mom's sister, who receives child support from my husband this summer when school got out. We haven't heard from him in months and I just saw his post on Facebook that he did not get anything for Christmas. That really broke my heart, because my kids (all 4 of them) got so many things. The Church even adopted my family because my husband just lost his job. In the past, I have been the only one who really bought him anything, but this year, I did not know where he was.If my husband was working, he wouldn't buy anything because that's how he is.My stepson actually posted that he doesn't look forward to Christmas or birthdays and I know it is because no-one acknowledges him at all. I sent him a message that I want to take him shopping to give him my present to him. What should I do about this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:19 PM on Dec. 28, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• i think the fact that you tried to reach out to him makes a difference. i would continue to reach out to him bc i doubt what he really needs is the gifts, i'm sure he really wants someone to reach out and just talk to.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 9:23 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Thats terrible. This story broke my heart. But I feel like what you did was the right thing to do. Just let him know that you are there for him if he needs you or just needs someone to talk to. Try to spend more time with him so he trusts you and knows that you will always be there. You did the right thing.
    lyndsey1788

Answer by lyndsey1788 at 9:23 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• well, i don't think he can blame others for not getting anything. well, his mother sucks, but if he moves around all the time, how is anyone to know where he is to give things to? unless they purposely don't. i really don't know. he sounds troubled...good luck
    mama2bof2

Answer by mama2bof2 at 9:26 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• You are so kind and caring. Bless your heart, and bless his heart, as well. This broke my heart when I read it. I cried, also. I think it's wonderful you want to take him shopping. I pray that in the future, he will remember how much you care for him,and love him, and he will find other people as wonderful as you to love him. God bless and keep you all.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 9:27 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Thank god you care for him and love him. Everyone needs someone to love them and acknowledge their existence.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 9:40 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I don't know what I would do, but I have to say, you are a great person :)
    mysevenkids

Answer by mysevenkids at 9:54 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Wow poor kid. That is heartbreaking.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 2:44 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I would just continue to do what you do. Reach out to him and let him know you love him and he is welcome in your home anytime.
    parajumper3

Answer by parajumper3 at 3:52 PM on Dec. 29, 2010