Are old people the only ones who need end of life care?

45% of people under 60 die from cancer so obviously not. If anyone needs end of life care it's a Cancer sufferer. So should the government madate the "talk" to them also or maybe just make it part of everyones check up? Why is Obama only requiring Dr.s to talk to medicare patients? What's his real motivation?

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 9:37 PM on Dec. 28, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I guess you gotta ask him to know for sure
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 9:39 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• A physician told me there was no code for billing for the end of life discussion. This is probably how it came about. Private payors (like blue cross, etc) have somewhat of a different coding system.
    Anonymous

• I think anyone at any age with a terminal illness should be spoken with honestly about their prognosis and reality of the situation. with that said I can not tell you how many people both professionally and in my personal life have recently died as a result of with holding routine care... I'm not talking about the with holding of CPR and a respirator but the with holding of an antibiotic for known pneumonia and then giving morphine in huge doses with NO IV fluids-- I"m absolutely appalled at what is going on right now in medicine-- I understand that cost containment is essential but I think maybe we should stop things like in vitro and drugs to help people who normally could not carry to term instead of with holding basic needs from the elderly
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 9:53 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I agree that end of life counseling could be necessary for all ages considering cases such as cancer.....just how much teatment would be used on a terminal cancer patient? How would the cancer patient feel about merely being comfortable by being given drugs and not more chemo,for example. There are many reasons why it is necessaryr for Doctors and patients to dscuss these issues at any age and,of course, the Doctors should be paid as with any office visit or consultation that recieves a fee. Nothing mysterious about that.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 10:02 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Kerpie- Dr's ARE paid for talking to their patients no matter what they talk to them about.
    itsmesteph11

Comment by itsmesteph11 (original poster) at 10:06 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I think everyone should do this. I also thing this perfectly fine for dr's to discuss this with their patients.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 10:08 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• First of all, your information presented is skewed. It should read that 45% of the people who die before the age of 60 are afflicted with cancer. Second, you give BO way too much power. Do you really think BO sits at home each night and thinks of ways to personally screw you? Everyone should have an advanced HC directive on file- Think of all those who require medical treatment after an accident. These directives cover more than just pulling the plug/DNR wishes.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 10:10 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

Comment by itsmesteph11 (original poster) 32 minutes ago

-----------------------
    yes, I know....that is what I said, So why do you ask about Doctors being paid for end of life counseling if you just admitted that Doctors always get paid anyway? And why do you think there is something going on??What makes you think that Obama is only requesting that Drs talk to Medicare Patients? AND, Medicare patients have been counseled about end of life issues....for decades. So it is not a new thing! In the mid 1980's.my in-kaws had some counseling sessions with their family doctor about end of life decisions. WHY do we need to hash over all these details?
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 10:44 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I can not tell you how many people both professionally and in my personal life have recently died as a result of with holding routine care... I'm not talking about the with holding of CPR and a respirator but the with holding of an antibiotic for known pneumonia and then giving morphine in huge doses with NO IV fluids--

Can you please explain. How many people? What were their personal situations? WHO made the ultimate decision to withhold treatment? NO physician makes that decision independently- Were ethics panels involved?

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 10:45 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/26/us/politics/26death.html?_r=3&hp

"Under the new policy, outlined in a Medicare regulation, the government will pay doctors who advise patients on options for end-of-life care, which may include advance directives to forgo aggressive life-sustaining treatment."

To try and put a guilt trip on a elderly person because their life sustaining care may be perceived as too costly by the gvt, is not my idea of counseling, it's bullying! 

agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 1:45 AM on Dec. 29, 2010