Just want to know if I am "over reacting"

I am an Army wife and my husband is currently deployed so I spent Thanksgiving with some friends. A few weeks later my friend told me that her 4 yr old said Marissa(6) was playing boyfriend and girlfriend with my son(4) and teaching him to kiss. She said she only told me because she thought it was funny. I don't. I didn't get mad or say anything rude or mean, I just said I wasn't ok with it and I was going to ask the girl's mother to let her daughter know he is too young for that game.

coreym

Asked by coreym at 9:53 PM on Dec. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• No that is not over-reacting to me. I think you did the right thing.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 9:56 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I think its just natural curiosity for children but if it makes you feel better to talk to her mother do it. She might not be ok with it either.
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 9:56 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Personally, I think you're overreacting. They are 6 and 4. It would be a far different story if she was 10 or 12 and he was 4.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:58 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• And this is how 5 year old boys get charged with sexual harassment.

At that age, it's innocent--it's the adults that make it perverted.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:58 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• They are just innocent kids. There's nothing sexual about it, they just see adults doing it and they are curious. I think you're overreacting, but hey, it's your kids, your call..
    mysevenkids

Answer by mysevenkids at 10:00 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• No, you are not overreacting. There is nothing wrong with not wanting an older child to play that way with your son. If the child were 10 or 12 I would be doing a whole lot more than letting the parent know I thought it wasn't okay to play that way. I would make sure my child was not able to be preyed on by them again.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:01 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• GrnEyedGrandma:
    When I was his age, I was molested by several other children between the ages of 6 and 12, it may be harmless now, but I don't know how her parents censor what she sees, and I want to put off him learning anything of it as long as possible.
    coreym

Comment by coreym (original poster) at 10:01 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• if your not "ok' with normal 6 year old behavior around your 4 year old then do not let them play together... I do not think your over reacting I think you dont understand 6 year olds behavior... if youre not ok with it then op out of the play
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:02 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• no i dont think you are....what if you just say oh its ok they are just kids, and in 3 or 4 yrs they learn about sex and try it cuz my parents dont care if we play bf gf...then what..so no ur not.. i would say something to her parents///
    ponyland

Answer by ponyland at 10:04 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I guess it would depend on the kind of kissing. My oldest had a "boyfriend" at 4 and they use to kiss. When I had her show me how on a doll, the school made it sound like they where frenching, I found out that they where giving quick pecks on the cheek. Honestly I had no problem with it and told her that as long as she was not forcing him to take kisses it was ok (the otherparents where not upset either when they found out what kind it was). And used it as a teaching moment to tell her that anything that she does with a boy is something she should talk to mommy about because sometimes others will get upset and we need to know, and that kissing while at school is not good.

Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 10:04 PM on Dec. 28, 2010