12 day old baby boy not eating much, and doesn't like to cry, is that normal?

My baby boy is 12 days old, since the second he was born, he doesn't really like to cry unless he is extremely irritated, ie. a thermometer up his butt. We were told to feed him every 3 hours, but he sleeps 4-6 hours at a time. Are we suppose to wake him up for feeding, or should we just let him decide on his own? Also, he was born 8lbs, he hasn't lost any baby weight, in fact, he's up to 9lb and change. His diaper output is about 5-6 times day. We tried to change it when he eats, but he doesn't eat often enough :-\ Not sure if I should be worried...

chilchix

Asked by chilchix at 10:08 PM on Dec. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If he hasn't lost any weight just feed him when he is hungry, but I wouldn't let him sleep up to 6 hours in between the feedings.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 10:11 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• My dd didn't cry much. Never did. Just feed him when he wakes up. He sounds fine but if it bothers you call his doctor

Answer by admckenzie at 10:16 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I'd say that if he isnt losing any weight I wouldnt be completely worried. Change him even when hes asleep Probaly every few hours (2-3). and monitor how much he eats when he eats. Some babies dont cry. My oldest son didnt cry much either unless he was irriated too. Other than that all babies are different and I'd say let him do what hes doing. Babies at that ageare only instinct. When they are hungry they wil let you know. I'd leave it up to him to decided. Dont force him to eat or wake him up..else ur gonna be dealing with a very cranky baby
    SweetPoison

Answer by SweetPoison at 10:20 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I would wake him 2 to 3 times during the day and try to get him eating closer to every 3 hours during the day. At night though, just let him sleep and only feed him when he wakes. As long as he gains weight and is wetting at least 6 diapers a day, don't worry.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:24 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• The MAIN thing drs and others say to wake new babies up is so they dont loose weight but if you arnt having a problem then let a sleeping baby sleep :) I wouldnt go longer then 5-6 hrs durring the day with out a diaper change and offering breast/bottle.
    ErinML

Answer by ErinML at 10:54 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• if you wake him up every three hrs to feed, then he will get use to this and start waking every three hrs. honestly id let him sleep. when hes hungry, he will wake up
    youngmami07

Answer by youngmami07 at 9:40 PM on Dec. 29, 2010