How can I get a picky eater to try new things to eat?

lynnmarieendler

Asked by lynnmarieendler at 10:15 PM on Dec. 28, 2010 in Food & Drink

• With my son I have to make him think that he is choosing to try things. I will put things right to his eye level in the fridge or put them on his plate and never mention them.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 10:17 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• We have a 2 no thank you bite rule in our house that works wonders. I haven't started it with my 2 yr old yet because he's so hard to reason with still, but my oldest started it at about 3 years old. She's not allowed to leave the table until she's taken at least 2 bites from each food item I give her. If she doesn't like something, she must take 2 bites, chew and swallow before she's allowed to say "no thank you" to it.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:27 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Mix it up with foods u know they like. Their is a cook book all about hiding veggoes in other foods, I think rachel ray wrote it
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 11:36 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I encourage my son to try new foods by offering something I know he likes as a reward for trying the new food.
    debbymichelle

Answer by debbymichelle at 1:22 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I call this the air-o-tarian phase. They all go through it. First, make sure that your child is drinking water, so s/he doesn't get dehydrated.
    Most important, do not create a monster who only eats nuggets, mac and cheese and hot dogs. Just keep offering a variety of healthy foods, and eventually s/he will start eating them again.
    Frozen foods are fun to play with, and will get eaten, like peas, blueberries and corn. Chunks of avocado and tofu are loaded with great nutrition, and are fun to squish between little fingers.
    I have never met a toddler who wouldn't eat hummus (lots of calcium, protein, good fats and iron), you can mix it with a mashed egg.
    Offer cut fruits with yogurt dip, fresh veggies with hummus or salad dressing, cooked whole wheat pasta and veggies with marinara or peanut sauce or cheese sauce.

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 6:17 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• We use the 3 bite rule. You must try 3 bites of what is on your plate; if you don't like it, you fix yourself peanut butter and honey on whole grain toast with a kiwi or apple. Even my husband is expected to follow the rule.
    If you cave now, you will forever have a picky monster on your hands. I promise that your child will not starve. Parents who cave are part of the reason why one half of American children are both undernourished and overweight. One third of children born in this century will develop type 2 diabetes.
    Keep offering a variety of healthy foods; stop buying junk foods until the picky phase has passed. Make sure that you are setting a great example by eating a variety of healthy foods.

• Call them by neat names. Broccoli - Little Trees... etc.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 8:23 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• One of the doctors on the show The Doctors was asked this the other day, he suggested calling them "X" foods, X being something the child in interested in, ie soccer foods, or ballet foods--- telling them these are "X" foods they help you to be strong or have energy ect.
    daisygirl913

Answer by daisygirl913 at 9:04 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• never give up trying!!! Put something infront of him for 2 weeks in a row- By the end I will bet he is eating it.
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 1:02 PM on Dec. 29, 2010