How to make it easier for my son to go to bed?

He's three. He cries to the point of making himself sick when it's bed time. It takes up to two hours some nights to get him to go to bed. We have a routine. Brush teethe, go pee, feed the fish and read books. I even pushed back his bedtime an hour thinking he just wasn't tired that early. He slept with me the first year of his life and I've been trying for two years to get him in his own bed. He will get up in the middle of the night and get in bed with me. Last night he was up from 12-1 and wouldn't go back to sleep. He'll get up so many times. Any ideas on how to make it easier for him?

SaraP1989

Asked by SaraP1989 at 10:30 PM on Dec. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• try his favorit music, maybe a night light,or maybe try putting his bed in your room till he gets use to that u know sleeping in his own bed but yet knwing he is still with u and go from there,thats what i did with my 2 year old she sleep in my room in her bed and she sleeps like a little angel
    paige120

Answer by paige120 at 10:41 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• what about his day time routine to make him tired? whats he doing all day is basically what I'm suggesting yo u look into if it is just boring stuff maybe spice it up-- in my house ds has 2 hours of learning (abc, 1,2,3 and shapes, 45 minutes outside, and 45 minutes inside of tumble time we just go crazy--plus he helps me, he dusts, sweeps and may clean a window or 2-- 1x a week we go to swim class and once a week we walk a mile (cause its too cold to do more) but I keep him going I stopped naps just before his 4th bday they were interfering with bed time my son sleeps from8p-8a with out a problem although he does wind up in my bed about 3 am every night but I do not mind
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:42 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I'm certain part of the problem is that at daycare they have a three hour nap time. Now, I know he doesn't sleep for that long, since he doesn't here and it's hard for him to sleep around other people, but it's quiet time so he's resting. As far as activity, he plays for almost an hour outside and he plays when we get home .He's got a night light and a stuffed animal that plays lullabies for him.
    SaraP1989

Comment by SaraP1989 (original poster) at 10:48 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• My son is on a very strict schedule and has been since he was a couple months old. I find that, if I keep things very predictable, he has an easier time with it all. My son is still in his crib though because he has yet to even try to get out. He calls us if he wants to get up. I have heard that some children benefit from remaining in the crib even after they climb out and can be kept in with a tent of sorts. I have never actually looked into this, but you might ask your doctor. My friend has a four year old and she was having the same problem you are. Her doctor told her to put a gate up in her daughter's doorway and tell her that she has to wait 15 minutes before mommy will come to check on her. (obviously there will be a monitor so that she is safely monitored) She said that, within two days, her daughter was putting herself back to sleep before the 15 minutes was up.
    TitusMom7

Answer by TitusMom7 at 10:51 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• try giving him some melatonin. you can get it from just about any store and just ask a doctor how much to give your son based on his weight. if you go that route give it to him about an hour before you want him to fall asleep.
    macks_mommy

Answer by macks_mommy at 11:06 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Keep putting him back and do not talk to him or read.Turn off the light and its bed time .Sit in the room with him but do not talk or lookat him .He will get the message.Yes its hard,but nobody ever said raising a child is easy.You are the mom,do what you know you have to do.
    grismelda

Answer by grismelda at 5:52 PM on Dec. 29, 2010