Birth control for teens:what are your opinions?

I had a conversation with a friend the other day about whether or not to make birth control available to our children when they get older. My husband and I became parents at 16, my mother just said "you will not have sex" and his mom offered to pay for birth control. We decided that we are going to talk tothem about it and that abstinance is always best but make birth control available to them. How does everyone else feel about it?

coreym

Asked by coreym at 10:49 PM on Dec. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• You can bury your head in the sand or offer them birth control options. At 16 my father, an ob/gyn, gave (all of us girls) birth control pills. I had three big sisters and Dad would quietly set out a three month supply for us just in case. Good darn thing too because I'm pretty sure we were all having sex. I was the youngest at 16. My boyfriends mother gave him what seemed like a lifetime supply of condoms and gave me a box of sponges. Suffice to say, neither set of parents wanted us to get pregnant.
    Anonymous

• you can talk to them about abstinence, and tell them its the best way to go.....i would still consider birth control just for the fact what teens actually care what parents tell them..

ponyland

Answer by ponyland at 11:01 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Teens will do what they want regardless of any talk you give them get the birth control just to be on the safe side
    Marie_07

Answer by Marie_07 at 11:04 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• definatly yes , its simply REALISTIC they will be sexually active , no matter what anybody says.
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 11:04 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• oh yes, they will definitely have it! Sorry, if that was worded wrong.
    coreym

Comment by coreym (original poster) at 11:07 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Oh for sure. Education is the best weapon. Promote and encourage abstinence, but make it ok for the child to come to you for birth control.
    CalebsMommy0220

Answer by CalebsMommy0220 at 11:30 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• If a teenager is big enough to have sex, shouldn't they be big enough to get their own birth control. I would never give my child condoms or let my daughter get on birth control. Are you aware of what those hormones can do to their growing bodies.Apparently not since you're ok with it.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 11:39 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Better safe than sorry. Plus, if they want birth control - they can get it. You don't need permission from your parents.
    I went and got it myself when I was 12.
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 11:40 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• khf22:
    where are you from?! There was none of that where I grew up!
    coreym

Comment by coreym (original poster) at 11:45 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• i think it's better to have bc than a baby, just my opinion
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 11:53 PM on Dec. 28, 2010