my baby girl has a PDA will this medicine work?

Cheyenne was born at 27 weeks 4 days 2.1 pounds she is 20 days old and today had a set back they found a duct open in her heart and started her on Medicine to try and close it. They have to stop all feeds and will give the meds over a 3 day pd. I read they like to use this medicine before they turn 2 weeks and she will be 3 weeks tomorrow so my question is did any one have this happen to their baby and did the medicine close it? Because the next step is surgery. The Medicine is called indocine I think I'm spelling it wrong sorry

neaneah

Asked by neaneah at 11:02 PM on Dec. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It depends on how large the PDA is. If the doctor's didn't think it would work, they wouldn't be trying it.

My son was born at exactly 24 weeks gestation last year, 1 lb 6 oz, and had PDA surgery at 2 weeks old. His was so large that they didn't even try the medicine, just went straight to surgery.

I know it's tough, but a PDA is nearly inevitable in such small preemies, and doctors deal with this problem ALL the time.

Best of Luck.
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 3:44 AM on Dec. 29, 2010