Would you call this a success for the initial stages of ObamaCare?

Washington Post:  An early feature of the new health-care law that allows people who are already sick to get insurance to cover their medical costs isn’t attracting as many customers as expected.

In the meantime, in at least a few states, claims for medical care covered by the “high-risk pools” are proving very costly, and it is an open question whether the $5 billion allotted by Congress to start up the plans will be sufficient.

In the spring, the Medicare program’s chief actuary predicted that 375,000 people would sign up for the pool plans by the end of the year. Early last month, the Health and Human Services Department reported that just 8,000 people had enrolled. HHS officials declined to provide an update, although they collect such figures monthly, because they have decided to report them on a quarterly basis.

“Like the rest of the country, we thought we’d have pretty much a stampede. That obviously hasn’t materialized,” said Michael Keough, executive director of North Carolina’s plan. With nearly 700 participants, it is among the nation’s largest so far, but it has one-third of the people expected by now.

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 11:14 PM on Dec. 28, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Not a shock. Common sense would tell you they would not be able to afford the premiums. But those of us with common sense knew that already. What happens when they are forced? I see a lot of newly poverty level people coming down the pike.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 7:35 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Here in Kentucky we have had a high risk pool for as long as I can remember. Of course people aren't signing up. The premiums are beyond ridiculous. For a 31 year old female, single policy its $896 a month. Age 25-30 is over $1000. None of them are under $700 for a female. Males are a bit cheaper. That is a mortgage payment.
    Astraea_79

Answer by Astraea_79 at 11:33 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• If I had a cool grand for every " unexpected" event with this Administration, We'd be retired this month.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 7:32 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Hate to say it libs....but we TOLD YOU SO!!!

-----
    I don't hate to say it.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:10 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• blank starereally? No way!!!!!

lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:59 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Not for us, all of our costs have increased… If they push Amnesty through, that will most likely bring on the stampede…

Wow Astraea, that's horrible!
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 12:50 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• How is it a success? Isn't the point of Obamacare to force, I mean see to it that, all of us have healthcare? The problem is that the insurance companies HAVE to give insurance to everyone, but nothing was said about how they are to affordably COVER the high risk patients; the only recourse they have is to jack up everyone's rates (my rates are going up for the second time in a year...29% hike total - 18% in June and 11% at the beginning of 2011) and then charge the heck out of those with pre-existing conditions that sign up. Those who are considered "high risk" are not flooding the insurers with applications because they cannot afford the rates. Heck, I can barely afford the rates, and that's with my employer chipping in half. Some success!
    ruthie11617

Answer by ruthie11617 at 3:30 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• ...and not surprisingly, this thread remains liberal free!! LOL

Hate to say it libs....but we TOLD YOU SO!!!

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:04 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• we TOLD YOU SO!!!

tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 8:19 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I thought the bill was called the AFFORDABLE Health Care bill? I guess there is a new definition of affordable. Who knew?

It would be interesting to go back to some of the questions when the bill was just being formulated and the debates to see what the supporters thought would happen. Fortunately, my memory isn't that bad and I know most of them actually thought that these policies would be affordable. Sad.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:02 AM on Dec. 29, 2010