Utility bills and family? Priority?

We have been having a hard time with money lately (like many more I am sure!) any way we have had utilities send us a disconnect notices they tell me I have to pick my priorities pay for medication for my baby or pay my bill. It makes me cry! What do they think? Why do they make us make that kind of decision? Priority? Utilities? Children? WHAT? I never planned on haveing a rough time in life but it happenes! Why can't they have a heart?

jem102675

Asked by jem102675 at 2:46 PM on Nov. 10, 2008 in Money & Work

• call the utility companies and try to work them if that doesnt work call the public utilites commission the number should be on your bills they will help you they have me
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 6:46 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• try and get on the budget call your utilities company and ask them about the percentage of income plan I think that's what its called

Anonymous

• wow, that's weird...Have you tried calling them? A lot of them are willing to help by setting you up on a payment plan as long as you communicate with them. Otherwise I know they can send collection letters and calls your way with all kinds of consequences and stuff =/
    Apr1l

Answer by Apr1l at 2:51 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• They can't have a heart b/c they are a business and being nice doesn't get them the money they want. As the above answer said, contact them about budget billing, or see if you can make payment arrangements with them. It sucks being in that position. I hope things improve for you soon.
    Anonymous

• The cold, hard facts are that they are in business so if they don't make money, they don't have a business to speak of. I think your only option would be to contact them and come up with a payment plan. They're more apt to work with you if you communicate with them and are willing to be truthful to your responsibilities.

Do you have insurance that would cover the costs of your child's medication?

I do hope things improve for you.
    Anonymous

• Contact local churches, ask if they have a utlility or medical assistance program. Don't be ashamed to ask for help.
    customcat2000

Answer by customcat2000 at 3:47 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Ask for help.
    Most utiltiy companies have low income plans.
    You can also shop around for your medicines. Walmart and Target have long lists of drugs that are $4 a month. If your aren't on there and your doctor can't switch you to one that is, try The Partnership for Prescription Assistance (1-888-4PPANOW; http://www.pparx.org)
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:26 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Because there a-holes and dont care about us. Anyways some companies will at the least offer you an extenison. My company offers 2 a year, but after that you are screwed. You may try that. Or see if you can make arrangements to pay it on a certain date. And ask the doctor to give you generic brand prescriptions or check out the $4.00 plans at walmart. Good Luck and hope things work out.
    jaceyrayesmom

Answer by jaceyrayesmom at 5:03 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• first realize that the people that call you or send you letters are working for companies hired by the utility companies for collections - this happens quite frequently. Call the utility company direct and ask about any programs they may have or options for payments - if you get no where, ask for a supervisor. Explain your situation and see if they will work with you - -

AndreaRUJuiced

Answer by AndreaRUJuiced at 6:00 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I did collections for auto loans. Yes, there were some rude people there BUT you also have to understand collectors are under pressure to hit certain "goals" and get people to pay -- or they can loose their income. In today's pressured income I am sure they hear reasons for being behind all day long -- and a LOT of people lie. I personally had a guy tell me his daughter DIED and it was a lie. I have never been so heartbroken and disgusted at another human being. Even when people aren't lying - its simply not a company's responsibility to save you from your bills. I don't mean that harsh - its just true. Do you budget and figure out how much more you need to be able to make your bills. You or hubby may need to get a second job. Lots of places are hiring seasonal help.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 9:29 PM on Nov. 10, 2008