Needs advice

I am 21 years old and have 2 kids. I have been diagnosed with depression. I've been to the Dr and have seen a therapist before, been put on prozac. But i dont feel the urge to wanna take my meds. I dont wanna take meds just to make me happy in life. Ive lost my dad and brother in a car wreck in 2001 and lost my mom last year due to cancer. This depression has taken a toll on me. Im 21 and i dont laugh as much as i should, i completely given up on my well being. I smoke more cigarettes, dont get dressed up, do my hair or put make up on anymore. I dont have many friends and i just feel like theres nothing else i can do anymore. I used to clean house everyday and now i dont have the urge to wanna do it anymore....i just need help...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:22 PM on Dec. 28, 2010 in Health

• Yes, well, you need to take your meds. There is no shame in it and you must realize you are in a different situation than others your age. First of all, you've experienced a lot of loss and I am sick to hear it. With two kids and this amount of loss, it's no wonder you don't want to do anything anymore. It's good you're asking for help but that is what the medication is for and it's possible you need to switch to something more effective. Also, having some little routine each day will help. If you can force and I mean force yourself to get fresh air and exercise, it really does make a difference. You have a lot to look forward to in life. You have kids to raise and a future ahead. It's important for you to be healthy as a mother and a 21 year old. Eventually you will begin to smile more and you'll want to go out but this process starts with you. You must make the effort but it will be worth it. Good luck. You CAN do this.
    Anonymous

• If these med.'s aren't working for you within several weeks, get your butt back to the Dr.! Depression is not something to mess with! It affects your thinking in all aspects. Your children need you now more than anything else in the world. Tell them you need a hug, kis, whatever. YOU need your kids more now than ever. Please, think what Anonymous wrote to you. Once the right medicine starts to work, you WILL take it for life if you have to. Please remember that depression affects the brain. It is not only an emotion.
    missmarylou

Answer by missmarylou at 11:56 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• You have suffered many loses in a short length of time. You have every right to be sad. I was in your place at one time. My dr also put me on prozac. However, when I needed to cry, I could not. Find a support group to help you deal with your loses. Give yourself permission to be happy. Turn on some music & dance with your kids. Eat more foods containing omega's or take an omega supplement like fish oil or flaxseed oil. Omega's support brain function & emotions.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 10:01 AM on Dec. 29, 2010