Thinking about going to School Online, What the best one?

Thinking about going to school online.
Want to do something maybe business

or something like medical transcripting

What is the best one to look into?
Any kind is fine, just trying to find what is good out there.

HANNAHSMOMMY25

Asked by HANNAHSMOMMY25 at 11:59 PM on Dec. 28, 2010 in Money & Work

• Stay away from for profit schools. It is best to stick with a state university/college that offers online programs. Here are a few to check out for business-

http://www.wgu.edu/business/online_business_degree

http://www.ccis.edu/online/academics/departments.asp?BusAdmin

http://www.troy.edu/ecampus/programs/ugdegreeprograms.htm

http://www.umuc.edu/programs/undergrad/badm/

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 12:04 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I did Kaplan University online for Medical Transcripting....well, it was a good program n all,but you HAVE to dedicate yourself or you won't do well. Also, I was always on the phone with them about my loan stuff and they are terrible at getting back to you. That was a pain in the ass if you ask me. They took like 3 months to give me my stipened check.

I would honestly not go to any of those University of Phoenix or Kaplan or anything like that. Do something through a university that has online programs. You know it's legit AND you will get financial aid for it. Those other colleges rarely (except Kaplan) provided financial aid.
    Keeely07

Answer by Keeely07 at 12:20 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Stay away from for-profit schools. They exist, by law, to make money for their owners/shareholders; education is not their priority. When I was in HR, I did not interview candidates from the for-profit schools.

Start with a community college; they will likely have many classes on line and the credits will easily transfer to a state university.

Have a couple of informational interviews with people in your chosen field to help you determine whether or not this is the right career choice for you. Check to see if there are open jobs in this field, too.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:13 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I went to university of Pheonix and they kept pushing my graduation date. I decided to just go to the local college. I did still have a laon to pay back which I did and I got a thank you letter from Sallie Mae.
    idaspida

Answer by idaspida at 12:05 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I had the typos in there sorry.
    idaspida

• ohwrite is right. Most community colleges and local universities now have degrees that are 100% online that are about 1/4 the cost as 'online' schools.

If you do use an online school do your research. They may be accredited by the Government, but that doesn't mean potential employers will accept a degree from them. So figure out who might be hiring you after you graduate and ask them if they'll accept a degree from the colleges you are looking into.

I went to university of Phoenix for a few weeks, and I dropped out once I called around and found out that no one would hire me with a degree from them. The scary thing is, I couldn't even transfer any of the credits to some of the other colleges I was looking at. So definitely try local colleges first and look at degrees that you can get online.

Good luck!
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 12:19 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• DEF agree with erica smerica!!
    Keeely07

Answer by Keeely07 at 12:21 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I can only go online, I can't pick up any classes at the campus. So i am hoping to find something I can get at home full time.
    HANNAHSMOMMY25

Comment by HANNAHSMOMMY25 (original poster) at 12:05 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Also check out your local community college, most of them have online classes and programs, and are much more affordable than the "online universities".
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:06 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Check with your local university to see if you can take online classes through them.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:08 AM on Dec. 29, 2010