• In the Spotlight:

How to handle picky eater?

My son is almost 3 and eats anything his daycare puts on the table, but we can't get him to eat at home. We have tried lots of different things, but nothing seems to work. Any advice will help!!!

TitusMom7

Asked by TitusMom7 at 11:59 PM on Dec. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Most kids will eat well 1 or 2 meals a day. Try not to worry about what your toddler eats over one day think of it over the course of a week. I dont cook seperate meals for my 19 month old she eats what we are having or she waits till breakfast. Please note I make sure there is atleast 1 item I know she will eat at each meal. IF they are hungry they will eat. They wont starve themselves.
    navyjen

Answer by navyjen at 11:26 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• My daughter is the same way. My doctor told me to sit her down and give her a time limit to eat. I set the timer on the microwave and when it beeps she know that, that is all she gets and she won't get anything else unless she finished it. Also, I was told that you chose when they eat, but they choose how much they eat.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 12:08 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• My oldest daughter gets very distracted by other things. T.V., stereo, and toys are all turned off an put away. It seems to be working so far. Then if there is something she doesn't like that I make I have her try it everytime and then she can eat what she likes on her plate. If they don't like the food today, they may like it tomorrow. Taste buds are always changing. My back up plan to make sure she is still getting plenty of nutrition is having healthy snacks.
    tigger1alb

Answer by tigger1alb at 7:44 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• aaaahhh the power struggle of a toddler.......lol I agree with the first post. You know she eats well at daycare. She is just being stubborn at home & getting away with it. cook 1 meal set it in front of her. when everyone else is done clear the table & she goes with out until B'fast. She will not starve by missing 1 meal a day & she will learn that Mom only makes 1 meal if she is hungry she will eat it. You need to be strong and firm with her and don't give in
    My BFF has a son who was picky at her house . When he came to our house he wasn't he ate or at least tried all the food I put in front of him. When I told her this she talked to him & he said Mom! Justgrape won't cook a seperate meal for me so if I want to have dinner I eat what she puts infront of me. I can't get away with being picky at her house!! Well after that he didn't get away with it at home either......LOL
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 9:05 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I am not a restaurant, I do not cook to order. In my house, you eat what I make or you don't eat.
    BTW, My oldest son has autism and it is often commented about how unique it is that he eats a wide variety of foods. He did fight me at first, but he learned that if he was hungry, he needed to eat what I made or he stayed hungry.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 1:18 PM on Dec. 29, 2010