Why do you collect stuff?

This is a spin-off of the question about what you collect.
I have never collected anything, or known anyone who does. Why do you collect things, like stuff toys or figurines that you would never use? Does it give you happiness or is just knowing that you have something that gives you a feeling of accomplishment?
I'm not trying to offend..just honestly curious.

tobys.mommy

Asked by tobys.mommy at 12:06 AM on Dec. 29, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I don't collect anything....unless you call my scrapbooking supplies a collection! But I do use them!
    JenE1098

Answer by JenE1098 at 6:30 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I don't really know why I do. I collect foreign money and coins bc its something that my dad started doing for me when I was young and I find them interesting.
    mlg87ok

Answer by mlg87ok at 12:08 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I collect Little Golden Books. I started when I was a kid and it is something that I can share with my girls and read to them. We do not just set them on a shelf and leave them. Even the oldest ones that are worth the most are picked up an read through often.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 12:16 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• My mother collects dolls, I think she collects them because she grew up poor, and never had the dolls she wanted as a child. Now she has all of them....
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:21 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• My collecting started as a child, because my mum is a collector. I suppose it was something to bond over, as well as kept me occupied looking to add to my own collections while she was browsing stores/stalls for her own collections. These days I only add to my collections rarely, but it is nice to have an idea of what I'm looking for to bring home from vacations as a souvenir.
    debbymichelle

Answer by debbymichelle at 1:40 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I collect Christmas decorations. All kinds and sizes. I love Christmas and I love the way the items look. It makes me happy. I don't go in a panic or go broke trying to collect things if I come across something I like and I have the $$ I buy it.
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 8:55 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I used to be (and still am) horse crazy. I would collect anything I could find on horses as it made me feel better about my passion of real horses and couldn't have any due to finances. I finally broke down and sold or gave away all my horse stuff. Now,4 years later, I still miss my collection!
    horsegal2760

Answer by horsegal2760 at 11:10 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I think we collect things because it does give us a sense of happiness. Especially if it something that we started collecting as children or it reminds us of childhood. I collect Tigger stuff. Tigger is just cool. I also like frogs, even have a tree frog tattoo on my arm. No Tigger tattoo yet, but that's only because I have found the perfect one.

My hubby used to collect comics ... he has about 30 or 40 boxes of them in our basement. It was something he could do with our son. Same thing with baseball cards. They could go to the shows together. He hasn't bought one or looked at the books in two years.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 1:28 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I collect things I love. Most are things that I don't need, but because I have a "collection", it gives me an excuse to get more.
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 4:46 PM on Jan. 3, 2011