Hi. My son was born Oct 2nd. He is now 5-1/2 weeks old. He sleeps well at night. But because he is breast fed, we wake him after 5-6 hours to feed him. How old should he be before we can let him sleep at night until he wakes up? I'll also ask the pediatrician when we go in 3 weeks.

Breastfeeding at night

lexirae

Asked by lexirae at 2:55 PM on Nov. 10, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Oh honey, let him sleep. I bf'ed all mine and thankfully they all started to sleep through the night by five weeks. He will wake when he's hungry. If he is eating a lot during the day he is way okay to sleep through the night.
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 2:58 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I breastfed and my daughter was sleeping through the night at 4 weeks. I didn't wake her, I figured it was good for everyone that she slept. I had older kids and I was glad I wasn't drained in the morning to take care of them.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 2:59 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I would give letting him go a try. One thing you can do is nurse him right before you go to sleep. The little extra might keep him going from say 11-6 instead of 11-4. The first few nights a baby sleeps through are always disorienting, but you will really enjoy not waking in the middle of the night.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 3:05 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• My girls are 3 months, and I was told by the hospital and the doctors to wake them every 3-4 hours for feedings. I don't, and WOULDN'T because they are big old moo's as it is! But if they were on the smaller side, I surely would wake them. I don't have to.. they don't let me get past 4 hours anyhow!
    You guys are LUCKY! LOL
    LizMomTo4Girls

Answer by LizMomTo4Girls at 3:05 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I would let him sleep. The baby will be fine and will wake if it's hungry, No worries.
    yw8t4life

Answer by yw8t4life at 3:45 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• now...most people say let a sleeping baby sleep.... if he's hungry he will wake up and tell u... if noy u and him will get more sleep..... ur breast might be a little sore but just more for him!!!
    apeclark2008

Answer by apeclark2008 at 9:33 PM on Nov. 11, 2008