Can my 3-year old daughter use a 6-lb bowling ball?

My daughter has been invited to a bday party at a ten-pin bowling alley. I am concerned about the weight of the ball and my daughter not being able to have fun or hurt herself.

MommaDes

Asked by MommaDes at 2:55 PM on Nov. 10, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My son started bowling when he was 3 and he used a 6 lb. ball. As long as she is careful when she carries it she should be fine. I think the biggest concern you should have is if the ball gets dropped on her toes. She'll be fine with a 6 pounder.
    sillyt

Answer by sillyt at 3:08 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• It should be absolutely fine, if you're worried then make sure you're there early if you can and just try her out with the ball, and if she says she's happy with it then that'll be fine. All my kids used 6lb bowling balls from pretty early ages, so it should be fine.
    haleykarson

Answer by haleykarson at 3:25 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• My kids started by pushing the ball down the lane instead of literally picking the ball up. We just set it at the lane and they rolled it where they wanted it. They still had a blast bowling though.
    yw8t4life

Answer by yw8t4life at 3:43 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Sure! Kids this little usually push the balls down the alley, they don't throw them. Set up a practice alley at home with a simple ball and some half filled water bottles. This works great in a long hallway. Then when party day arrives, she'll understand what to do.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:13 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• when you pick out a ball, you're supposed to use a ball compatible with the weight of the person using it... 10%... so if you're 3 year old is 60 lbs, then yeah, he/ or she can use that bowling ball. The odds are, they aren't 60 lbs at 3 years old, so if they want to go bowling, take him/her to the small pins bowling alley where the balls fit in (adult's) hands
    not-so-des-hw

Answer by not-so-des-hw at 4:32 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• When we took our 3yr old daughter bowling they had a ramp that you or her can set the bowling ball on and push it down the ramp. She loves bowling because she always gets the highest score
    ashestreat

Answer by ashestreat at 5:52 PM on Nov. 11, 2008