What are some low/no costs ways of organizing my scraproom?

mimi2six

Asked by mimi2six at 12:38 AM on Dec. 29, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I haven't spent too much on organizing my scrapping supplies. I definitely recommend scavenging for boxes (shoeboxes, etc) to gather similar kinds of items so you can see what kind of storage space you need before you spend money on nicer storage. Over time, I have invested in a $20 wardrobe (from a yard sale), which contains a 6 drawer plastic storage (free - that a friend was getting rid of), and an 8-cubby storage bookshelf (maybe $30 at Target) that contains three 3-drawer plastic organizers (probably about $10 each from Big Lots). At first I figured I want to spend my money on my crafting supplies, not the storage to hold it... but then I realized that it's easier for me to actually *use* my stuff if it's organized so I can find what I need! But, like I said, organize it first so you know what you need, and take your time finding the best deals on the right storage containers.
    debbymichelle

Answer by debbymichelle at 1:36 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Have you tried Digital Scrapbooking? Everything you need can be stored on an External Hard Drive! And it can be used over and over again and never run out! I make my pages 12x12, print them out 8x8 and keep them in my scrapbook to share with family and friends. It's the best thing that ever happened to me! I never had enough space or money with traditional paper scrapping. Digital is definitely a life saver for me!
    kc71595

Answer by kc71595 at 4:18 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I have many scrapbooks going at one time so organize all the supplies I need for each one in separate copier box lids (begged from my local office supply store or carted home from work). So I have one lid that holds all my stuff for my grandbaby's scrapbook, another for my heritage album, one lid for trips etc. Easy to just pick up the lid I need to go to another room etc. and quick to clean up.
    horsegal2760

Answer by horsegal2760 at 7:51 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I keep all my scraps of scrap paper (? LOL) all together I have wooden shelves that I buy 1 at a time as $$ allows. but you can use shoe boxes, beg a couple of pizza boxes from local pizza place , even offer to pay 1-2 bucks for each box. I use the crystal light plastic containers with lids for short ribbon pcs, brads,stickers etc I tend to look over every thing before I recycle because I may be able to use it for storage. I also save peanut butter jar lids (just a few is needed) to hold brads and stickers (among other small items) to keep things organized while I am working on a page

justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 8:03 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Thanks for the great ideas! I do both paper and digital scrapping. I love digital because it save money and mess. But I also love paper. I also making greeting cards and alot of misc crafts. Love the idea of the pizza boxes for 12x12 papers!

My family thinks I'm becoming a hoarder because I save every box, can etc....because "I might be able to use it in my craft room"! lol

I am going to start cleaning out and organizing and I'm sure I'll be using some of these tips! Thanks ladies!!

Happy New Year!
    Pam

mimi2six

Comment by mimi2six (original poster) at 5:56 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• You can try boxes from the post office too! Put the box together and cut a portion off from the top to put the paper in and take out. I have green hanging folders in a filing cabinet that once I can get to it, I'll be organizing my scraps of paper by color. I keep my stacks of paper in plastic bins that I used in college!
    JenE1098

Answer by JenE1098 at 6:29 PM on Dec. 31, 2010