• In the Spotlight:

38 weeks and 5 days pregnant with my first baby. I have not started dialating yet, should I be worried about delivering via C-section?

bradleyslady01

Asked by bradleyslady01 at 2:56 PM on Nov. 10, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Nope, because you can dilate like *that* (snaps fingers). When I was as pregnant as you, I had been barely dilated one for a week...and then my water broke, and I was dilated four...and then it took 17 hours in the hospital to finally hit ten. My sister-in-law went from from four to finally hitting ten over a week later, and her labor was less than an hour long!

I'd worry more about your health than anything. Remember, you may end up being overdue and still delivering vaginally just fine, most women dilate just fine when their bodies are good and ready!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 3:00 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I agree. I, myself, simply do not dilate without meds. I had my daughter 6 days late and my son only 3 days early and I hadn't dilated with either of them before I made it to the hospital. I had to be induced both times because I was measuring so big they wanted to make sure I wouldn't have to have a c/section. I just have big babies (over 9lbs. both times) but I haven't had a c/section for either of them. Don't worry about it. Everyone's body is different. We don't all start dilating when the books say we should.
    sillyt

Answer by sillyt at 3:05 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Do not worry! I never dialate until I began labor! Then it went fast! 22 hrs 1st child 10 hrs second child. That is from first contraction to baby out! It may sound long but it is no!
    jem102675

Answer by jem102675 at 3:05 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I didnt start dialating until I was in labor... I wouldnt worry about it
    Kryssi17

Answer by Kryssi17 at 3:23 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• i didnt start dialating either until a couple hrs after my water broke. it broke at 7:30pm on thanksgiving of 2003 and i had him at 12:20am twenty minutes after thanksgiving in 2003
    mybabe22

Answer by mybabe22 at 5:15 PM on Nov. 10, 2008